How do you add a defect issue type to be a child issue of a task?

Karen Collins June 11, 2019

I want to use Tasks to manage individual development tasks for our project. I want to be able to assign bugs to those individual tasks, but I cannot create a Bug Issue Type at the Subtask level. Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 vote
kumar jira June 11, 2019

Ask your JIRA Administrator to create a new issuetype( Bug )of Type Sub-Task Issue and associate it with your project. 

Then you can select bug as issuetype when creating a sub-task.

Karen Collins June 12, 2019

Thank you for such a quick response! We are using the NextGen project type rather than Classic. Does that change your answer? Our JIRA Admin attempted to do so but it did not appear in our project. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2019

Hey Karen,

After creating the new Issue Type, it needs to be added to the Issue Type Scheme that is being used by the project. Then it should show up as an option to create under the Issue. 

Thank you for such a quick response! We are using the NextGen project type rather than Classic. Does that change your answer? Our JIRA Admin attempted to do so but our NextGen project does appear in the Projects list when he attempted to associate the issue type scheme. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2019

For the Next Gen project, go to Project Settings while on the Project and then click Issue types. You should see something like this:

Issue Type - Next Gen.PNG

Then click on Add issue type and see if the new one pops up in the screen. 

Unfortunately the new issue type doesn't show up there for me. Our Next Gen project doesn't even show up for the SysAdmin to add the new scheme to which is strange to me. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2019

Are you able to click on Create issue type? (Make sure you are an Administrator on the Next Gen project - under People). 

Create Issue Type.PNG

Suggest an answer