How can we implement WIP limits at a Swimlane level in a column?

Edward Sigamani September 9, 2019

In a Kanban board, while we could implement WIP limits at Column level, how can we implement WIP limits at a Swimlane level in a column?

4 answers

0 votes
Susan Puckett June 28, 2023

I wish I had a solution.  I need this feature!

CESAR DALDOSSO March 19, 2024

me too

0 votes
Greg May 13, 2022

A plugin or app that might address this issue: Advanced Agile & Kanban Boards by Release Management.

0 votes
Jovan Jakovljević December 23, 2021

On JIRA Cloud this is now possible. WIP per swimlane.

Weston McNamee February 10, 2022

How is this done?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

@Edward Sigamani go to your Board > Configure > Columns and you can set a MIN / MAX for each column.

You need to set your Column Constraint = 'Issue Count' before you can set the MIN / MAX

Edward Sigamani September 12, 2019

Thanks - yes do have the  Column Constraint = 'Issue Count' before you can set the MIN / MAX but still cannot have WIP limit set at swimlane level within a column.

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

@Edward Sigamani do you see the following that I've highlighted? The column MIN / MAX would limit the number of cards you can have in any column at any time. Are you talking about hours and not cards?

jira-min-max-constraints.PNG

Thanks

Like Mars Penton likes this
Abhi Singh July 13, 2020

The OP is asking about setting WIP limits at a swimlane (horizontal grouping) level. I wish this was possible as well as the option to set WIP limits per person or component. Sad that Jira has been "gathering interest" on these capabilities for nearly a decade and yet has such scant support for Kanban practices.

Like # people like this
George June 13, 2021

this is still not possible?

Like # people like this
G Walley October 26, 2021

It would be very helpful to group columns and add a maximum limit to the group as a whole.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer