How can I manually close an issue and skip workflow steps?

Steve Tautonico June 20, 2019

I have some issues that were completed and need to be marked as closed. However, the only way to mark them as closed is to spam the transition button until they hit the closed status. Is there any way to instantly close the issue (manually)?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2019

the best practice here I belive is to add transition "any status" -> "closed" and bulk update those issues (you can make this transition admin-only and remove it later)

e: don't forget to add this transitions to all workflows your issues belong to

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2019

This isn't just "best practice" - it is the only way to do it.  To change the status of a Jira issue, you must go through a transition!

Rebecca Lewis October 11, 2019

Can someone help me with something similar? I had "Planner Close" as a workflow in the workflow chosen for a new project I created. However, when I open an issue in that project it is not an option. Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2019

The transition "planner close" is either not set up as a route out of the current status, or there is a condition on it that blocks you from it.

Have a look at the current status and the workflow diagram and check that there is a transition out (or that "planner close" is a global transition with "all" on it).  If it does exist, you will need to edit your workflow to check the conditions on it.

Suggest an answer