How can I manage the attachments directory in jira to improve the performance and memory issues?

Sahish November 29, 2021

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone are doing great.

The Jira backups use up lot of memory because the size of Jira home directory is too large.

One of the reasons is the attachment folder. Is there any way to manage the attachments directory/folder in jira to improve the performance and memory issues?

Thanks in advance,

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2021

Hi @Sahish 

Well there are few things you can do.

• Symlink attachments directory to somewhere else like a dedicated file storage.
  • Set a limit on the attachment size, I am sure you have it already, just review it.
  • Do regular audit of your Jira instance to find out issues with big attachment sizes. I have seen instances where users have uploaded videos and big log files.
  • Setup and archive strategy. Not sure if you are on DC already but move very old issues to another read only instance or may be delete them after storing backups.

There might be another issue causing memory or performance issues - like lot of configurations, too many custom fields and may scripts. Check this page for performance tuning.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Sahish November 29, 2021

Thanks @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ for your immediate response.

Can you just elaborate the the first point about Symlink attachments so that I can get some idea on that.

Thanks in advance,

Sahish

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2021

Hi @Sahish 

Sure, please find the details here in this link.

Ravi

Like Sahish likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2021

Hi @Sahish 

Make Sure the Backup is not taken during Business Hours and follow the link for Performance Tuning on Jira Instance

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/optimising-performance-779158883.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/server-optimization-938847889.html

Thanks,
Pramodh

Sahish November 29, 2021

Thanks @Pramodh M  for your immediate response.

I will go through the docs which you have provided and let me check.

Thanks,

Sahish

Like Pramodh M likes this

Suggest an answer