Hmm... we couldn't create your project due to an unknown error. Try refreshing the page to start aga

Matt Buckley August 9, 2018

We are using Jira 7.11 on a Windows 2016 Server utilizing SQL 2017 (have also tested with SQL 2014 and 2016 with the same result).  This Jira server was just updated from 6.2 however since the update we receive the message “Hmm... we couldn't create your project due to an unknown error. Try refreshing the page to start again” every time we attempt to create a project.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

jira error.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Anh Nguyen February 15, 2021

I am using Jira 8.13 on Window 10.  Server is in Linux.  I couldn't find any error in the log (/apps/logs/atlassian/jira/applogs/atlassian-jira.log).  I stopped and started the server.  This time the error message is ... time out.  However, the project has been created and accessed normal. It weirds !!!!

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2018

I've seen this error before, it almost always generates a SQL exception (or alike) in the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file when you see this error on the page.

It tends to happen because there is a problem with SQL database, or the credentials to create this, or even possibly a plugin that cannot write to the database as expected.

You mentioned that you recently upgraded Jira from 6.2 to 7.11.  We don't recommend that anyone skip the 7.0.x upgrade as described in Skipping major versions when upgrading Jira applications.

It is also important to make sure that you upgrade/install your plugins that you use with Jira while on this 7.0.x version.  This is true of both Jira Agile (Jira software) and Jira service desk.  Failing to do this step can cause some old Jira plugin data to fail to be upgraded properly.

It is possible that this error could be related to a failed upgradetask where Jira was not able to complete the entire upgrade correctly.

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2018

is the project created anyways? You might not have the browse permission on the project. Also check the default permission scheme. To create a project, you must be system or application level adminstrator.

You need to have a look at the application log : atlassian-jira.log to find the detailed error message, if the permission scheme looks ok.

Suggest an answer