Error while upgrading JIRA through the different versions

Daniel Pipe September 13, 2022

I am currently on a test environment upgrading JIRA through the recommended upgrade path. However, as I run the installer and choose upgrade. 

This error pops up each time:

"Error while attempting to remove the previous installation directory. Some files may be in use. Please close all related programs and try again."

I'm not sure what files would be in use, or what I need to close down. 

I've chosen the option to 'ignore' and the installation proceeds seemingly without issues but I wanted to know if there is a fix for this, and if choosing ignore might cause issues in the future. From what I can tell, the new instance is fully functional. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hi Daniel,

Wasn't Jira running at the time of the upgrade by any chance?

What OS is it - Windows or Linux?
Sometimes there is a problem with Windows and it is better to restart the entire server for the smooth running of applications.

Pavel

Daniel Pipe September 13, 2022

This is on windows. JIRA shouldn't have been running, I ran the shutdown script before I did the update. 

Perhaps I will look to restart the machine each time I upgrade when I do it for real then. 

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi Daniel,

Yes, Windows machines sometimes behave unexpectedly and in my experience 99% of problems are fixed by restarting the Windows server. Then everything worked as it should.

Pavel

Suggest an answer