Epic Link is empty in search filters and results

Missy Ann Mathews April 15, 2019

I have all my non-epic items (Story, Bug, Task) mapped to an Epic. This is traceable and the relationship is shown correctly with the Project views - Roadmap, Backlog, Board, Item details, etc.

When I'm searching outside the project, by clicking on the magnifying glass, then Advanced search for issues: 

1. All Epic related fields are empty for all issues in the result set: Epic Color, Epic Link, Epic Name, Epic Status, Parent Link. 

2. Another field Links shows the related 'no-epic' issues as expected

3. The converse of this, can't apply any filter to select all issues under an Epic. All issues comes back when the filter "Epic Link" is Empty is applied.

How can I query based on Epic Link? Is there any configurations to be changed?

Jira Version: Jira 1b9e0153

Project Type: next-gen project - Kanban 

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2019

Hello Missy,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The next-gen project template is a new feature of JIRA Cloud which is still on a beta validation. The purpose of this template is provided a simpler and straight to the point solution for those customers who felt overwhelmed by the complexity of the classic projects templates.

That been said, the next-gen Epics have a less complicated relationship with other standard issue types, which does not include the Epic Link field.

We understand the lack of this feature is blocking many users to use JQL to search for Epic related issues, so we have created a feature request to get it implemented on Next-gen:

As a user, I'd like to be able to use JQL for Epic Link for Next-Gen project epics

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer