Creating sample project in new JIRA Software?

Mike Tocci February 14, 2018

Hi all,

We are using JIRA Software (cloud) service with the new navigation experience. This was updated a few months ago (December 2017?). I used to be able to create a new project with sample data, but now the Create Project button only allows template selection that creates a new blank project.

Sample projects are useful for training and brainstorming new processes. Is this functionality coming back?

Thanks!

Mike

6 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Marin Mamic February 23, 2018

The functionality is there, just not where you (or anyone for that matter) would expect it. You can reach it from any existing board settings where you can select "Create new board". It will then give you an option to "Create a Scrum board with sample data" and also create a new project with it.

Mike Tocci February 23, 2018

Thanks @Marin Mamic! I knew I was missing something. 

Like Matthew Winchell likes this
Marin Mamic February 23, 2018

Don't mention it. I'm glad i could have helped. I had the same issue myself.

Like Matthew Winchell likes this
Harish Aravindan May 30, 2018

Thank you for the answer @Marin Mamic, was searching for this while trying out Jira cloud.

Emily Jarvis June 4, 2018

***Updated*** I found the answer. You have to go into an existing project, click on the backlog, then the 3 dots in the upper right corner and "create board"

@Marin Mamic For the life of me, I can't find existing board settings. There is the dashboard, etc. How do I get to "Create new board"?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Ijeoma Ekeh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2018

@Emily Jarvis It's been awhile, so you may have already found the answer.  But, to get to "Create new Board", go to the magnifying glass in the left side navigation bar and search the term "boards".

Select "View All Boards", and in the next screen, go to the far, upper right where it says "Create new board".  There, you will be able to create a new board, with sample data.  It will also create a new project where the board lives, unless you choose to add it to an existing project.

Like # people like this
Emily Jarvis July 23, 2018

Thank you!!

Like Ijeoma Ekeh likes this
Liz_Pat October 5, 2018

Mystery solved at last. Thank you! 

Mike Sheehan October 21, 2019

One year later - thank you :)

1 vote
Steve Terelmes March 29, 2019

But the option is still lost for Jira Service Desk projects (which don't use scrum boards). I have found sometime that even when an option has been removed in Jira, the old URL will still take you there. Has anyone found the ability to create a JSD with sample data anywhere?

Sam Ayres November 17, 2021

Oh hey Steve from two years ago!

0 votes
Dheeraj Kumar Aggarwal October 5, 2022

I have written a step by step article to solve the issue of generating sample data with Jira Cloud.
https://optimizory.atlassian.net/l/cp/KKAXCs1K

I hope, it would be helpful for somebody.

0 votes
Sid Suvarna March 25, 2021

Thanks that was helpful 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2018

FWIW....for me the sample data just got in the way. but that is just me. :-)

What I would suggest is to create a demo/training project. IMO that is the best way to train new folks because it will continue to grow and have some real training data.

0 votes
Kim Howitt February 15, 2018

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Suggest an answer