Create an Epic from Task

Sravan Duddella June 14, 2022

Hello Team, How to create an Epic automatically when a Task is created?

Tried to build this via Jira automations and unable to set the Epic Name field to Task's Summary, resulting in the automation to fail. Please advise. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Hi @Sravan Duddella 

Please share the rule that you have so far. 

Hello @John Funk Thanks for your response, please see the details below:

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 3.18.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-14 at 3.17.59 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

@Sravan Duddella 

Please share the details of the "Create a new" step.

When creating an Epic in a Company Managed project you have to provide the Epic Name field. Are you setting that field in the "Create a new" step?

Yes, I am and the help that I need is how can I set the value of the Epic Name = Task's summary in the automation which should solve my problem.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2022

Use this for the Epic Name:

{{triggerissue.summary}}

Like Sravan Duddella likes this
Sravan Duddella June 15, 2022

Works like a charm!! THANK YOU!!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2022

Great! And you are welcome. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2022

Please provide the details of your automation rule and show the log output that details the failure.

Suggest an answer