Chaotic Evil date formats

Richard Quadling December 19, 2017

How do I get Jira to display dates in a format that is understand by anyone other than a Chaotic Evil person?

Chaotic Evil Date Format.jpeg

What's so hard about 2017/12/14?

Completely unambiguous. No internationalisation issues. Globally recognised.

Whereas mm/dd/yy is HEAVILY ambiguous to most people a lot of the time.

132 days out of 365. That's a lot of days where talking to someone who is Chaotic Evil results in confusion. Over a third of the dates in mdy format have a valid dmy view (2/1/17 - 2nd Jan or 1st Feb?)

Please just stop being evil. You are doing the world no favours with this.

Just use Y-m-d and be done with it. Sure, you're going to have grumbles from the Chaotic Evil's of the world, but they are wrong. It is that simple.

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2017
Richard Quadling December 19, 2017

The date format being shown doesn't match any of the currently defined options. And BitBucket doesn't seem to have any settings related to date formats (as far as we can see).

Richard Quadling December 21, 2017

I'm using Jira Cloud, not Jira Server. There seems to be differences in this regard.

Richard Quadling December 21, 2017

All I see is ...

Date / time formats

Documentation on date / time formats can be found online.

That's it. No actual UI. The URL is https://xxxxx.atlassian.net/secure/admin/LookAndFeel!default.jspa where xxxxx is our subdomain.

Suggest an answer