Coming soon! View subtasks directly on your backlog

NOTE: As of December, this is available in ALL Company-Managed Scrum projects.

Hi Community friends :wave:

We’re excited to announce that you’ll soon be able to see the subtasks of issues on the backlog of company-managed scrum projects.

We plan to roll out these changes from:

• 16 Oct 2023 for company-managed projects

Unfortunately, we're not the position to add it to Team-Managed Projects at this moment. If you'd like this, please vote for this feature here

What’s changing?

Today, only company-managed kanban projects display subtasks directly on the backlog – all other project types require you to click into an issue’s details to see its subtasks.

Once we release these changes, you’ll be able to view subtasks on the backlog of all your projects. This means:

• Improved visibility - get a detailed overview of all subtasks that need to be completed straight from your backlog

• Better planning - plan and prioritise your work that include subtasks more efficiently now that you can see them in your backlog

subtasks-backlog.png

How do I turn it on?

You will need to be in our new backlog. Head to your backlog, click the meatball menu and select 'enhance my board and backlog'.

SCR-20231103-mvby.png

How will this change affect me?

The first time you enter your backlog, your subtasks will be collapsed by default. If you make any changes to the subtasks that are displayed, this will remain the next time you visit your backlog.

If you no longer want to view subtasks: From the top right corner of your backlog, select > Collapse all subtasks.

70 comments

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2023

It's happening!

It's Happening.gif

Like # people like this
Getchius, Dawn October 16, 2023

When should we expect to see this for company-managed projects on Standard version of Jira Software Cloud?  Do we (Jira Admins or End Users) need to do anything to configure our settings to view this feature?  I am logged into my version of Jira Software Cloud today and don't see this feature yet.

Like # people like this
Juan Gutierrez October 20, 2023

Will this be coming to other types of company-managed projects in the future? Like software projects, for example?

Like # people like this
Henri Kaukola October 24, 2023

Awesome! Like Juan, I'm just hoping that e.g. company-managed software projects will get this feature enabled soon.

83qo6w

Like # people like this
ilhan Kuzgun October 25, 2023

Thank you, we are waiting for this update

Like # people like this
Getchius, Dawn October 27, 2023

I see this update was deployed on my Cloud version last night and very excited for my team to start using this feature!!!

Like April Chi likes this
April Chi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2023

Hey @Getchius, Dawn ,

Yep, you don't have to configure anything. It'll show up as long as you have subtasks and you're in a Company-Managed Scrum project. Team-Managed projects should be coming soon. Awesome! If you have any feedback, please send it over here :) 

Hey @Juan Gutierrez 

Will this be coming to other types of company-managed projects in the future? Like software projects, for example?

What are you referring to here? I might be missing something as we refer to software projects as anything related to Jira Software and it is split into Company-Managed projects and Team-Managed projects. Do you mean team-managed projects or something else? 

ilhan Kuzgun November 1, 2023

Hello, I can't see the feature still, when will we have it in our company-managed cloud JIRA? 

Like jpietras likes this
Getchius, Dawn November 1, 2023

@April Chi - My users are all very happy to have this feature available to them in the Company-Managed projects.  It saves them a lot of time and searches to view the related subtasks.  The only remaining pain point they have is wishing we had the ability to modify the columns that are visible on subtask to include Original Estimate field.  Perhaps this can be considered for a future enhancement (soon I hope). :)

Like # people like this
April Chi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2023

Hey @ilhan Kuzgun ,

We're still in the midst of rolling it out, we're almost halfway there. It'll be available to 100% of customers by 10th November :) Let me know once you see it, would love to hear any feedback.

Juan Gutierrez November 2, 2023

@April Chi 

In the post you mentioned that the subtasks will be shown in the "backlog of company-managed scrum projects, and all team-managed projects."

We have a company managed project but ours is of type "software project" instead of scrum, as it's shown here:

Snag_a01295f1.png

Snag_a012a0af.png

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it seems like there are multiple types of company-managed projects, so I was wondering if we would receive the feature as well. As currently we do not see the subtasks in our backlog

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2023

@Juan Gutierrez "Scrum" refers to the board type used for a Software project, as in scrum board vs. Kanban board. Scrum boards use sprints to time box the work to which you commit, while kanban boards show a continuous flow of work into workflow.

Like # people like this
April Chi
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2023

Hey team @Juan Gutierrez @ilhan Kuzgun ,

Trudy's description is correct. If you're sure it's a company-managed project, you can tell if its a scrum or kanban project by looking at the sprints. If it has sprints, then you're most likely using scrum. If there aren't any sprints, then its kanban. Let me know if this helps :) 

I've missed something though in that you need to be opted into the new board and backlog. In your backlog, click the meatball menu and click 'enhance your board and backlog'. Can you confirm you have this on?

SCR-20231103-mvby.png

If anyone wants to chat, book a time with me here. I'd love to clear up any questions or help out if there are any problems or feedback. You can also reach me at achi@atlassian.com.

Like # people like this
Juan Gutierrez November 3, 2023

@Trudy Claspill @April Chi 

Yeah, I have the enhancements on. It's working for me now.

Thanks again for the help and explanations!! :)

Henri Kaukola November 3, 2023

Thanks @April Chi for bringing this development up and into our knowledge.

I can now see subtasks in my company managed software project's backlog.

Have a great Friday! 

Hayden Davey November 7, 2023

This is incredibly helpful for planning with our scrum team! 

Will the agile reports be updated to include sub-task estimation now that it is easier to estimate on the board?

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2023

Hello @April Chi

It seems that this is still not visible for our projects but would help us immensely.

jCEQ8xtLut.png

We already have the new board and backlog enhacements, but the subtasks are not visible at all. DO you have any idea for troubleshooting? I checked the columns and they share the status that should enable to plan them from the backlog.

ilhan Kuzgun November 13, 2023

Thank you I can see the subtask in the backlog sprints now. Which is very helpful.

However subtasks are not included in the estimations per person. So How do we find out the work load of the developer in the sprint planning? As far as I see only the main issues are included. 

I wish to see the total workload. 

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 14.04.26.png

Like # people like this
April Chi
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2023

Hey @Patrik , do you know if you're in a Company-Managed project or Team-Managed project?

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2023

Yes @April Chi , it is a company-managed project and I am in a scrum board.RMN1Y6OqD6.png

Perhaps I am missing something or overlooked a detail?

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2023

Hello @April Chi

Any idea what might be wrong? Could I provide you with our version or buildNumber? Do you see that the issue could be somewhere else? I would reatly appreciate your support with this.

April Chi
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2023

Hey @Patrik Korovsky , hope you're well and thanks for the response. It might be because we're not at 100% yet. Can you please send me an email at achi@atlassian.com with your instance name? That would help me find out why you can't see subtasks yet. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2023

This will be a nice add! I know the community at large will really appreciate this.

Like # people like this
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2023

@roba nearly copied my comment with a link at the end hidden in the dot without adding anything in particular. Seems like a common spammer, @April Chi could someone from Atlassian look into it?

Checked their profile and doing this in every comment.

April Chi
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2023

Hey @Patrik Korovsky , I just sent you an email - we've turned it on for your instance. Can you please let me know if you see it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated 🙏

@Jack Brickey ! Let me know if you have any feedback, comment here or send it over to achi@atlassian.com.

@roba Not sure what you mean but let me know if I can help in any way. 

Like Patrik Korovsky likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events