Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble setting up O365 email with app password.

Craig Lathrop September 15, 2020

I'm trying to setup an email account for our serivce desk. We use O365 for email and have MFA enabled. I setup an app specific password for the account, and checked that IMAP is enabled. I simply get an "Authentication Failed" messages when I try to connect. I've tried entering manual settings as well.

Has anyone else with MFA enabled successfully connected a private email account that was on O365? 

2 answers

0 votes

If your Microsoft 365 tenant has security defaults turned on you cannot use a custom email address. Security defaults removes support for legacy authentication methods such as IMAP. 

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

@Craig Lathrop - hi Craig! If you're an Office 365 admin (or can coordinate with your company's Office 365 admins), can you verify that the port you're trying to access can accept traffic?

What do you mean by "private email account"? As opposed to a shared mailbox?

By private account I mean not using the support@domain.atlassian.com address. After some digging it turns out that JIRA doesn't support advanced authentication. With "security defaults" turned on there is no way to connect. If I understand the MS press release correctly, in October it looks like Microsoft will turn off support for legacy authentication (IMAP) for all users regardless of "security defaults".  I imagine that when that happens there will be enough pressure from users to have support for OAuth2.0 added for email accounts. 

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events