Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline chart using Date field in JPD

Guy Geron June 18, 2024

Hello, 

We have ideas in our JPD project that will attract revenue. 

I'd like to create a timeline widget to demonstrate when we should expect this revenue to commence based on a date field. 

The date field isn't a date field and looks like a string. 

I've tried using Analytics, but the date field doesn't appear in the dataset. I did resync repeatedly, and still nothing. 

It feels like something that should have been simple, became quite complex to do. 

Does anyone have any idea how to approach something like that?

2 comments

Joey _ devsamurai
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 20, 2024

Hi @Guy Geron,

The issue with the date field being recognized as a string can indeed be frustrating. Here are a few steps you could try to resolve this issue:

• Check Field Format: Ensure the date field in your dataset is formatted correctly as a date. Sometimes data might look like a date but is stored as a string.
  • Data Conversion: If the date field is a string, you may need to convert it to a date format. This can often be done within your data preparation or ETL process.
  • Custom Fields in Jira: If you're using Jira Product Discovery, ensure that your custom date field is properly configured and synchronized.
  • Analytics Tool Settings: Double-check the settings in your Analytics tool to ensure it is capable of recognizing and processing date fields.

Additionally, you might find the TeamBoard ProScheduler plugin for Jira very helpful. It provides advanced scheduling and timeline & Gantt chart functionalities that might simplify the process of creating your desired timeline widget.

I hope this helps! 

Guy Geron June 20, 2024

Hi @Joey _ devsamurai , thanks for replying.

• Check Field Format: I don't believe it's a date format. I checked it via a simple jql (see attached)
  • Data Conversion: in a jql I'm not familiar with a way to convert. In Analytics, I know how to convert, but can't find the field in any table (I've raised a support ticket with Atlassian about it)
  • Custom Fields in Jira: It is a custom field in JPD, and based on the interface in JPD, it is a date field. Upon linking, it is synced with date fields in Jira. 
  • Analytics Tool Settings: I'm using Atlassian Analytics. I suspect that this should work out of the box. 

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 8.46.53 AM.png

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2024

Hello Guy, 

the Jira Product Discovery date field cannot be used in Jira Software dashboard. To create a timeline that includes your ideas, I suggest creating a new view in Jira Product Discovery of type "timeline". 

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

Guy Geron June 23, 2024

Thank you @Hermance NDounga ,

Here's a reply that I've got from Atlassian Support.

Hopefully this is a feature that we will see soon. Both on JPD and Analytics 🙏🏼Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 10.48.16 AM.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events