Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product portfolio management

Richard Kirk June 13, 2023

Hi, I can't see an obvious answer to this question so apologies if I've missed it. It seems like a big gap to me that JPD has no concept of a product. I manage a portfolio of products and there's a bit more to managing an individual product than just adding a custom field for it. 

I'd like to see product lines, versioning etc so a planned product improvement, aligned to an objective that affects KPIs can be tracked. I can see how some of this can be achieved with Atlas but not being able to start my process from the product portfolio and drill down into goals and roadmaps from there is a bit disorienting.

The reasons I'm asking:

• portfolio management and hygiene - product have a lifecycle that need proactive management
  • Funding - revenues are linked to products and showing where investments will be made and what's going end of life is necessary to keep investors onboard (and they're quite important stakeholders).

So my question is, is having the concept of products as standalone entities on the roadmap?

Thanks

Richard

4 comments

James Traxler June 13, 2023

Always thinking of the big picture, Richard! Nice.

Ivor June 13, 2023

Agree with you.

Today it seems to be very discrete solutions for each function:

1. jira product discovery for the discovery process & high-level planning

2. Atlas to attach the KPIs (and you need to go paid to utilize detailed KPI tracking)

2. jira software for the planning & delivery process (and if you want Plans, you need JIRA premium subscription)

3. jira service management for incident and problem resolution + opsgenie to manage releases (if you want a view across what branch/releases were deployed and when)

And integration between either products are not that great yet (i.e. you can't get the fix version from JSM unless through automation).

Like # people like this
Jonathan Blackburn June 14, 2023

Isn't this where Jira Align comes in? It seems quite heavy and expensive but appears to be made to tackle these Enterprise-scale problems

Keen to hear if anyone seems any other tools in the market that address this and what their pros/cons are!

Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2023

The currently easiest way to implement a simple portfolio management is by having issues in one of the Jira editions that represent a product. With this, several custom fields can be included that give your product the details they need. Their connection to Jira Projects etc. however will not have the best integration.

This will on the other hand result in an overview of products, how far they have advanced in their lifecycle and a bunch of details that allows comparison. It's a bunch of manual work, but certainly any of the Jira's is capable of doing this to some extent. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events