Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Discovery APIs

Alex Tsai November 2, 2023

Hello Community, 

It would be great to know if the current JIRA Cloud APIs work for Product Discovery. I'm seeing mixed comments. 

It doesn't seem like it works but appreciate any insights or guidance. 

The use case we are solving for is around keeping similar fields synced between Jira and PD. 

Thanks. 

4 comments

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2023

Hi @Alex Tsai ,

There is no public Jira Product Discovery specific API, but the regular Jira Cloud API definitely allows you to JPD ideas, along with updating them and more. 

You can check https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-3-issue-post

This other Community post might help with creating ideas in general.

As for your use case of "keeping similar fields synced between Jira and PD" - each JPD project is team-managed - which means each project has it's own custom fields. These projects are different than company-managed fields which can offer custom fields throughout other company-managed projects.

So there's definitely a limitation with the API in general, and your use case since there's realistically no sync between projects and their fields.

If you want to sync fields between Jira and JPD, it'd be best to use automations at this time in my opinion.

Adam Arrowsmith November 2, 2023

Hi @Alex Tsai 

We recently used the normal Jira API to migrate a ton of ideas/issues from an external tool into JPD. Worked great for all the JPD standard and custom fields (although you need to do some sleuthing to figure out which "customfield_XXXXXX" is the one you want :) )

@Nick H 

The one thing we are still trying to figure out is how to work with Insights via the API. I came across this similar post which linked out to some GraphQL APIs in Git for the JPD specific functionality--in particular reading and writing Insights:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-questions/Is-there-an-API-to-migrate-ideas-insights-from-other-product/qaq-p/2246895

It looks promising but we're still dev in progress.

What's the status of/recommendation for using this API? Is this the API we should use; any reason we shouldn't? Thanks!

Alex Tsai November 2, 2023

Thanks @Nick H

We have been successful using automation but we are having a hard time using the API to copy a value from a list in JIRA into PD when the value isn't in JD. 

We were hoping to use the API to insert the value into the list field but we have not been successful. 

Any advice? 

Alex Tsai November 13, 2023

@Nick H

I need your help as we have not been successful at creating an Idea that contains list fields. I'm not sure if we are doing something wrong or if it's not supported. Can you please advise. A sample would be great. Thank you. 

Alex Tsai November 13, 2023

@Adam Arrowsmith maybe you can help. When migrating the Ideas did you have custom list fields and were the values pre-defined? We can't seem to be able to do it. If you don't mind helping with some examples and/or guidance that would be much appreciated. 

Like Adam Arrowsmith likes this
Adam Arrowsmith November 14, 2023

@Alex Tsai If I understand you correctly, you're asking about adding new list values on the fly, right? If so, I did not have to cross that bridge as part of our migration project: all the necessary list values were predefined (or added manually if we forgot one).

I imagine doable, but you'd need to work with the Jira configuration APIs, this one I think:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-custom-field-options/#api-group-issue-custom-field-options

Nate Whitehead January 28, 2024

If you need to create a new JPD project there's an availalbe REST endpoint at:

https://<sitename>.atlassian.net/rest/simplified/latest/project
Send a POST call with the following JSON:

{"key":"<upper case key>",
"templateKey":"jira.polaris:discovery",
"name":"<name>",
"accessLevel":"PRIVATE"}
Full disclosure: this isn't documented and could disappear at any point. Use with caution. 
Adrián Plaza June 18, 2024

We need to extract the Ideas insights using an API call is there any available options at Jun '24?

Like Hannes Krug likes this
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2024

@Adrián Plaza ,

There is not a way to extract ideas' insights via API at this time, but you can reach out to JPD support and we can help export your ideas' insights through our internal tool.

Not sure as well if this will be available for customers soon, or where it stands with engineering's roadmap. Feel free to check out of GraphQL GitHub page on insights too.

Hannes Krug July 11, 2024

I would like to access the insights as well 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events