Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process or best practices behind the templates provided (idea, opportunity, solution, ...)

Sebastian Wramba June 10, 2024

I have started with JPD but quite some experience with product discover itself. I was wondering whether the there's some examples or documentation given the four templates that are provided when starting with JPD.

For example, an idea is "a user problem, an opportunity, or a solution." To my understanding, a solution is when you start delivery, so I would create a Jira Epic for it instead of keeping it in discovery.

The solution definition template's description says to use it after the problem definition template. In the same idea? In a new idea connected to the previous one?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Wramba ,

I believe you are referring to JPD views when mentioning the "four templates that are provided when starting with JPD."

Here's more documentation on JPD views in general as well: Capture ideas, visualize and share views

Ideas could be a user problem, an opportunity, a solution, etc. While views provide an easy way of capturing your ideas, filtering on them, visualizing which could have a greater impact for your team / customers, etc. Ideally you will use JPD to gather and quantify why an idea should be considered, and views make this process easier.

Once an idea has gathered enough weight or validation to be added into production, you can use the delivery feature to push the idea directly to Jira and have your development team work on implementing it. 

I think this page covers a lot of the topics you mentioned, and might be worth reviewing as well: Jira Product Discovery delivery overview

An idea's lifecycle is typically transitioned through a number of statuses (Parking lot, Discovery, Ready for delivery, etc.) before the delivery is created, and provides insight into whether or not it will be considered as something pursued:

It’s important to remember that while it’s easiest to explain discovery and delivery as phases in a cycle, they are often not concrete moments in time, or perfectly linear. They are continuous and require constant listening and iterating.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have any questions about what's mentioned above.

Like Sebastian Wramba likes this
Sebastian Wramba June 11, 2024

Hi Nick, thanks for your response! Views are pretty straightforward. I was actually referring to the description templates that come with a new Discovery project (see screenshot).

I agree with you that I would eventually push to Jira when delivery is clear, I was just wondering about the reasoning for the two "Solution" templates. I would always place solutions in Jira, not in PD where I'm still in Discovery mode.

Would I have a user problem as Idea 1, then possible solutions as "Idea 2..n" linked to Idea 1 – until they are validated and finally one solution is pushed to delivery?

I'm just a bit confused by the concept of Ideas both being a problem/opportunity and a solution living in the same space.

I know that the process is individual for every company, I was just wondering what your thoughts were when creating this. There's always a chance to be inspired by other people's workflows :)

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 16.59.41.png

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Wramba ,

Thank you for clarifying, that makes more sense.

Those are actually templates, specifically ones that are prebuilt within each JPD project - and apply to the description of an idea at creation to essentially help standardize what your users see when creating an idea.

I believe the reasoning for two Solution templates is just to provide options to customers, and/or material on how they can craft their template so it doesn't necessarily need to be built from scratch.

Unfortunately there's some limitations to these templates and your questions. At this time, the template can only be applied to all ideas at creation - so it's not possible to have a template for user problem as Idea 1, another template for solutions as Idea 2, a third template for opportunity as Idea 3, etc.

If you want to be able to easily identify different types of ideas (such as problem, solution, opportunity, etc.) we would suggest creating a custom select-field. Maybe something like this:

idea1.jpeg

I also want to mention there are no other issue-types available within JPD other than idea - so it's not possible to create a different issue-type for something like problem, solution, opportunity, etc.

As @Tanguy Crusson mentioned, the noun we have in JPD is "idea" - most teams end up using a project (or multiple projects) as a repository of product ideas, opportunities and initiatives, from inception to delivery. 

Hope that helps clarify things a bit more. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Wramba , 

Basically, although the noun we have in app is "ideas" most teams end up using it as a repository of product ideas, opportunities and initiatives, from inception to delivery. 

I actually gave a 30min talk about how we use the tool for that to create Jira Product Discovery. Based on your question I think you might find it helpful: https://youtu.be/Yp0q7YVYM4c?feature=shared&t=2258 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events