Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New employees are added to jira-product-discovery-users by default.

Sheri Morita March 22, 2024

Hello, 

My company is exploring using Jira Product Discovery. I am running into a problem where every time a new employee is added to Jira they are also added to the jira-product-discovery-users group (NOT the jira-product-discovery-contributors group).

The jira-product-discovery-users group is set up as a default access group, and I do not seem to be able to change this. 

Adding people to the users group impacts our licensing cost; at this time I'm having to go in and manually remove them, which is seriously annoying. How do I get this corrected so that the jira-product-discovery-contributors group becomes the default access rather than the users group?

Thanks, 

Sheri

3 comments

Comment

Tom Haapanen March 22, 2024

They should not be getting added to the users group automatically, unless the person sending the Jira invites selects "Product Discovery User" as a role when sending the invite.

Don't select a role at all for Product Discovery when sending the invite, and instead add the users manually to the contributors group.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2024

Hi @Sheri Morita 

I believe this is caused by JPD being listed as a default in user create for the product roles.   

This was happening at my last company, and at that time, there was no way for customers to change the defaults themselves.  We contacted Atlassian Support and they removed JPD from the defaults for us.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Ka Silveira likes this
Sheri Morita March 22, 2024

Thank you, @Bill SheboyThis is helpful information.

I hope that the Atlassian product managers are monitoring this chat. Having to jump through these hoops is a significant dis-satisfier to adopting JPD. 

Cheers,

Sheri

Like # people like this
Ka Silveira March 22, 2024

Yes, it's exactly this. I'm waiting for this feature> https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-8059

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Edouard Kaiser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2024

Hi @Sheri Morita , have you looked into your admin hub and checked the Products > User access settings section. You should be able to control which role users are being given by default once they join the site. You can setup JPD so that no role is being given. 

More information: https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/control-how-users-get-access-to-products/

Hope that helps and let me know if I'm missing something here.

Like # people like this
Ka Silveira March 25, 2024

@Edouard Kaiser for me this option "User access settings" doesn't appear on admin.atlassian.com:

2024-03-25_09-27-24.png

Karin van Driel March 25, 2024

@Edouard Kaiser - please can you clarify? This only manages whether users who are not admins can invite users to the site, as far as I can tell? I think every product requires a default group and when creating a new user as an admin, all the default groups are assigned automatically and you have to choose to remove products explicitly, rather than picking the products as part of the process. We are having an issue with this as well, as we have set up an integration with iPass (Sailpoint) which acts like an admin user. So as the user is created, they get all products and then we had to implement a script to go back and remove the products not all users should have (like JPD). 
Please let me know if there is a way around this, as it would greatly help us. We were told by support there is no other way to do this, so just want to check if something has changed :) 
Thanks!

Sheri Morita March 25, 2024

Hi @Edouard Kaiser - thank you for your assistance. I had to add "Product Discovery Contributor" to the "Jira Product Discovery" group and then set that as the default. 

Nobody in our organization did anything to set up Jira Product Discovery in the Product Access section of Admin, all we did was sign up for the trial. I suggest that the setup automation be improved so that:

• Both the user group and the contributor group are added to product access
  • The contributor group is set as default access

Thank you again for your help in resolving this, I really appreciate it!

Sheri  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events