Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I co-opted Jira Product Discovery to assist me with reporting (in case anyone is interested)

Wendy Grapentine July 2, 2024

I posted this in another community that was discussing unique reporting ideas and thought I would post here as well.

I am tasked with giving ticket updates every two weeks.  I was using just Excel, but, co-opted Jira Product Discovery to assist with this.  The reasons: 
1) I needed a tool that was free. JPD is free for up to 3 users.
2) I can link the Jira ticket with automatically updated status to the Jira Product Discovery Ticket much easier than on a Spreadsheet.  And since it shows the linked ticket status, I can update the Product Discovery Issue status very quickly without having to toggle back and forth between Jira and Excel.
3) I can group the tickets under categories really easy (drag and drop).
4) I created a custom column called "update message" that is set up using text field type.  I can write a short message there to update where the ticket is in the process of being done.
5) When I started this in Jira Product Discovery, my intention was to direct everyone to that page, but, my stakeholders are virtually technophobes, so I just export the current state of the Jira Product Discovery to an Excel sheet.  (Then in Excel I have to manually create the categories (since the export doesn't catch that) and just make sure they are grouped correctly.  While doing this still causes me cut and paste in Excel, at least the "meat and potatoes" portion has already been done in Jira Product Discovery!)

Background to answer:  My company is not solely software related, my company is primarily a credit union services company.  We work with credit unions and are responsible for the printing and mailing of physical bank statements and the display of electronic bank statements.  My team is responsible for maintaining the data collection software and website as well as the software that keeps the warehouse printer jobs going. 

Would be happy to show how I set things up is anyone is interested.

2 comments

Joni Johnson July 3, 2024

Thanks for sharing as it helps me with other ideas!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2024

Thanks for sharing @Wendy Grapentine !

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events