cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error creating an Epic

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2022

When I go to the "Delivery" section of an issue and attempt to create an Epic within a project I get the error: "We failed to create the issue given the available data". I have tried creating the issue (Epic) in several different projects. The workaround is to create the Epic within a project and then go back to the JPD project and link to that issue. Any ideas why the "Create" button from within the "Delivery" section of the JPD project isn't working for me?

JPD Epic create error.jpg

2 comments

Comment

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2022

Hi Gary, that means that "epics" in the "product ops" project have mandatory fields without default values - meaning: if you create an epic there are some fields you need to specify, and these fields don't have a default value. In this case Jira Product Discovery doesn't know what value to give to those fields and returns an error. It's a limitation of the beta that we don't ask you to fill in those field values yet. 

To go around this you have 2 options: 

1. Create the epic in the "product ops" project and link it from this screen in Jira Product Discovery
  2. Make the fields non mandatory when creating new epics in the "product ops" project
Like # people like this
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2022

Thanks for the feedback (Hugo Emond as well). It was a mandatory field. Making it optional corrected my issue.

Hugo Emond August 16, 2022

I have experienced the same issue and the reason was that we had a mandatory field in the other project causing the creation to fail (as only the Summary is provided in JPD). Making the field optional solved the issue.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events