cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ideas and flagging

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2022

Greetings, community!

Has anyone tried anything like issue flagging with Ideas? 

I am thinking of a use case where, as with flagging an issue on a software project board, an Idea would similarly show in views with the color-highlighting and the flag indicator, with the comments showing additional details.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2022

Hi Bill, 

Does that help? https://www.loom.com/share/eac08af113da4654bfa3fd5c9070b0f8

Cheers,

Tanguy

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2022

Thanks, @Tanguy Crusson 

That seems different, and better than the standard issue flagging behavior for this  portfolio context.  We already added a Readiness field as select-type, and enabling the highlight seems to help.

I am still trying to find (on a test project) where other highlighting is coming from; some other field which is not displayed, perhaps.

Thanks again,
Bill

Paul Newell July 14, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson Just a quick idea, it feels like it would make this a lot more usable and realistic if when you mouse over the colored bar (on the left of the row) that it would show a popup with the field: value that is responsible for the flag.

While having an extra field with flag info is somewhat helpful, it is also tedious and my guess is that most people won't fill it out.

flag_popup.png

It's a bit redundant here, but I could see it being useful in the board view or a list view that doesn't have that column visible.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2022

I agree, @Paul Newell ...especially when it can show multiple colors, when applicable, for a single issue.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2022

That's brilliant @Paul Newell , thanks! we'll see if we can add that in the near future

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2022

@Paul Newell we've just shipped what you suggested. Literally as-is. Thanks, you're now an honorary designer for Jira Product Discovery 😉

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

Question on the select-option field, highlight (color bar) technique:

It appears that once a field is added to the project with highlighting options, the highlighting appears on *all views* even when the field is not included in the view.  Is that expected?

I can think of scenarios where the highlighting is/is not relevant, based on context of the view...or perhaps even a different field's highlighting is relevant.

Thanks,
Bill

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2022

@Bill Sheboy that's correct, the way we designed this is so you can do things like "highlight high priority ideas everywhere", or "highlight all ideas that have been published in some form of public roadmap". 

We're thinking of revisiting "colours" across the app at some point, so that you can for example select a field to colour a specific view. 

are you running into a scenario where you'd like that level of granularity?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2022

Thanks for your fast response!

My answer for granularity: yes and no  ;^)

• I can see use cases based on context (e.g. what is relevant to highlight for this view of the portfolio...with specific filtering and sorting)...
  • versus what you describe: aligned understanding of what things like "readiness" or "urgent" mean across different value streams in the organization.

Our current views lead to a condition where one value stream's fields have highlights  (e.g. readiness) appearing on another value stream's views for shared work...but the remainder do not.  For this scenario, I hope alignment will address this over time.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events