Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tools are you using to aggregate raw ideas?

Seth Mason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 14, 2024

The JPD team uses JSM for collecting raw ideas so that they can be fleshed out, discussed, iterated on before being moved into JPD.  JSM is not an option for me and I prefer to not use JPD as the "top of the funnel", but for ideas that have been vetted out by a PM.  

What tools are you all using besides JSM for this?

2 answers

0 votes
duncan_crowell June 16, 2024

Similar to @David McKee I have always used product discovery tools as the catch all with other tools like JSM simply being the mechanism to capture the ideas and flow them through to a Traige pool. JPD in my mind keeps Jira clean as the place that has only items you have committed to delivering. 

I have found it useful to do a very basic relative Value / Effort assessment up front (I am talking literally less than a minute of effort) and keep this for all ideas to help give a gauge of what to move on as a candidate and what to leave on a backlog, park for later or simply archive. I have found it useful to have this archive of ideas to refer to espeically if you capture why you may not have progressed an idea previously. 

Using FIlters and custom fields like "Roadmap"  or statuses like "Triage" or "Candidate" you can then decide what of these you show outside that triage view versus what you don't

Seth Mason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 18, 2024

@duncan_crowell are you using JPD for your initial collection of raw ideas and then creating JIRA Software based issues to represent those that will be developed?

duncan_crowell June 18, 2024

@Seth Mason - Thats correct. Once its passed through the Discovery workflow we create a Jira ticket and link it to the Idea in JPD. We use Jira Software to manage the delivery but use the linked "Delivery Status" and "Delivery Progress" fields to visualise delivery progress within JPD on timelines, roadmaps and lists. 

Essentially we have 4 stages - Triage > Discovery > Delivery > Scale

Triage and Discovery are completed in JPD whilst Delivery is managed in Jira Software with the outcomes of Scale coming back through the cycle to improve what we already have in market.

0 votes
David McKee
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 14, 2024

We use 2 layers of JPD. The first to catch everything and all insights from the most thought out idea to a random suggestion by a client. Then a filtered layer properly scored and planned out which then becomes the roadmap and links into delivery. We've done this 2 ways depending on the team: 

1. Inside 1 JPD project with filtered views
  2. Across 2 linked JPD projects with different users involved in them
Brittany White June 17, 2024

David - I would love more information about your second item.  How are you linking JPD projects and seeing across both?

Tom Gorenbar Peled June 17, 2024

+1 to Brittany's question below.

duncan_crowell June 18, 2024

Also keen to hear more.  I'm gathering that cross JPD project connections is coming in Premium but for now at least the only way I have been able to pull together a single view across multiple projects is outside of JPD using Advanced Roadmaps in Jira.  This only solves for the Timeline Roadmap (or Delivery Plan) view though. Not the Combined list of priorities view. 

David McKee
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 21, 2024

@Brittany White / @Tom Gorenbar Peled / @duncan_crowell 

We very simply use the "relates to" linked ticket to link JPD ideas.

We do find it works better to only have 1 JPD project and triage using views. 

We are also now using Atlas over JPD ideas to give an idea of how a group of ideas helps us meet a goal

Like Brittany White likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events