Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What level of work do you manage in JPD?

duncan_crowell July 1, 2024

Hey Team, 

I am keen to get some views on what level of work you put into JPD versus what you might put directly into Jira?

For example,  Do you just use JPD for larger feature ideas that might need a level of discovery around them, or, do you put everything you do through JPD including small enhancements like Updating a button, a bug on a recent release etc? 

There are pros and cons to both side and every option in between, put in too little and you lose the ability to communicate your whole plan to stakeholders, put in too much and it could become an overhead that the team quickly circumvent. 

JPD has the power to capture everything and link those ideas to any issue type in Jira but I wonder how far is too far when it comes to using JPD as your pre-jira capture everything playground?

Really keen to hear thoughts.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2024

Hi @duncan_crowell ,

We see most customers putting all ideas into their JPD - which can be larger features, small enhancements, a bug that needs improvement, etc.

We also see some customers only leveraging JPD for maybe the larger features - but it's all personal preference and case-by-case!

You can certainly better differentiate your ideas through custom fields though, and assign whatever values to each idea depending on if it's a larger features, small enhancements, a bug that needs improvement, etc.

Then use filters, advance sorting and autosave within your projects' views (that use the custom fields) for better visibility and organization.

As you mentioned, there can be pros and cons to both sides, and it would realistically come down to what you prefer.

duncan_crowell July 1, 2024

Thanks Nick. YEs loving the flexibility JPD provides :) and thanks for sharing that link the video on advanced sorting was useful, some features I had not yet come across there! 

Hoping to get some views from others on how they have approached this, I am leaning more towards the capture everything but would be keen to hear how people have approached this adoption as naturally the immediate response is (for example) "its more effort to raise it here, push it to Jira than it is to fix the bug"

Like Nick H likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events