Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sum of Story Points in Delivery Progress Not Accurate?

Lindley Tam June 3, 2024

Hi! I've been trying to use the delivery progress bar, configured to calculate progress by story points. However it seems like the total story points doesn't equal to the total number of story points in the epic (based on my calculations this should be ~137 points instead of 274)

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 10.50.41.pngScreenshot 2024-06-04 at 10.51.24.png

For additional context - we've been using the story points field to input 'manday' values - however I would've thought that regardless of how we're using the SP field, the total SP shown on the delivery progress bar should reflect the total of each issue's story points contained in the epic. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2024

@Lindley Tam we'd need more information on what tickets you've added as delivery tickets to answer this, but 274 is 2 x 137 so have you added the tickets twice, e.g. adding the epic and then adding each ticket individually as well?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2024

Good catch @Stephen_Lugton that was the feedback from the JPD engineering team as well - if you add them twice they're going to be counted twice

Lindley Tam June 5, 2024

Thanks @Stephen_Lugton ! I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean by adding each ticket individually. What we do is we either use the "Create a delivery ticket" action (so that a new empty epic is created, and then we create individual tickets in Jira itself under that epic created), or we link an existing epic. 

I don't really see anywhere we could've added them twice because the epic linked clearly shows just one ticket for each task unless I am not using JPD as intended.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2024

Could you please send a screenshot that includes the whole screen (tcrusson@atlassian.com) - I'd like to check what's going on. Thank you!

Like Lindley Tam likes this
Lindley Tam June 6, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson thanks so much! I've sent you an email :)  

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2024

@Lindley Tam we just looked at your screenshot: is it possible that you've added a value for the storypoint field in the epic?

Lindley Tam June 10, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson thanks so much - i think that was the issue. There was an automation that was done by a previous delivery manager that automatically summed the story points in the epic, and that would be reflected in the 'Story Points' field. I removed the summed values from that field and the delivery progress works as expected now. 

Thank you again for taking the time to look into this!  

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events