Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request - Better Links/ URLs

Ben Arundel February 8, 2023

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Ian Sperry February 8, 2023

Yes a thousand times yes. The URLs contribute to a more negative experience when a 3rd party tool is trying to ingest them.

In Miro for example I cannot just paste the shareable link from JPD to create a card on the whiteboard, it instead interprets it as I am trying to paste a list. It works better with links from JIRA.

Rylan Maschak February 10, 2023

I have the same issue with Miro... and sometimes in Confluence it doesn't appear to resolve either.

Steven Chang February 16, 2023

Hi @Ian Sperry @Rylan Maschak! Steven from Miro here. Are you using JPD URLs from the same Jira instance that is connected to your Miro accounts?

Rylan Maschak February 16, 2023

@Steven Chang Yes, I am.

Ian Sperry February 16, 2023

@Steven Chang Yes I am. In order to add JPD cards to a board I need to search for the issue key in the Jira app in Miro and cannot just paste the URL.

Steven Chang February 20, 2023

Hi both. I would love to know better what the format of the URL you are using is. Feel free to book a quick chat with me here: https://calendly.com/miro-steven-chang/chat

Thanks!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2023

I understand the issue, and see it the same way. Some parts of the links ("atlOrigin=SOMEUID") clearly seem dispensable/optional, from our users point of view.

But the part with the view ...?

I think one issue here is that there is no single default view for a JPD project - not in the way JSW or JSM projects have that one "list of issues". JPD projects can configure any views they like.

Note how a link to a JSW/JSM issue, like https://you.atlassian.net/browse/ISSUE-KEY, brings you to the "Issues" view, as indicated in the project sidebar:

Screenshot 2023-02-08 223230.png

So the question would be: if JPD links don't include a view parameter - which (list) view would you want an idea to open in, for your project(s)?

Side note: we're not the first to bring this up :-) @Rohan Swami, can you maybe confirm that you put this to the backlog, indeed? If so, what's the solution going to look like? :-)

Ian Sperry February 8, 2023

I think JPD just needs a permanent Issues list to open in. I just had a situation in which this happened

• The last list I was looking at was the Archive.
  • Then I click on a link to open an idea from Slack
  • The idea opened and the breadcrumb made it appear as though this idea came from the Archive but it is not archived. I had to do a double take to make sure i had not archived it accidentally

The way I see it is. If I want to send someone a view I will send the view. 

If I want to send someone an idea, I only want to send the idea - I do not need or want any view information carried along with it.

Side note: I'm the guy who wrote the post you linked in your side note ha

Like # people like this
Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2023

Hi @Ian Sperry, yeah I noticed it's you :-)

I believe you're right about a "permanent issues list". We have one view called "All ideas", basically a list without filters. I guess that comes close.

Your experience with ending up in the Archive is a good example of how the current behaviour can be confusing.

Currently, a link to an idea in the form https://you.atlassian.net/browse/ISSUE-KEY takes the last visited view as context.

@Ben Arundelif you haven't noticed this yet, give it a try - so you see the "nice" links already exist and they work, you just have to construct the URL manually, or let it be generated e.g. with the Jira macro in Confluence.

Not sure what happens for users who open JPD the first time, though :-)

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but when it comes to sharing, JPD views determine who has access, and how. And I believe that's a good feature.

So, what would the permissions for the "permanent issues list" look like? Maybe customizable, just like the other views? Of course that would mean that an idea link doesn't work for everyone.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2023

Hi all, as you've identified the extra bits on the end of the URL dictate the view that the idea will be opened in. We'll look to improve the URLs at the some point, but it's not on our roadmap for now.

Personally, I agree with you that when sharing a link I want to take someone to see the idea and not the view. But this is a highly used feature so we'll want to do some careful research and testing before making a change here.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events