cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product discovery "priority by customer" board

Andy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 29, 2024

Hi,

We're enjoying using Product Discovery for our high level planning process.

We are building a B2B SaaS product and now want to use PD to understand how many of our customers are asking for certain features, and with what local priority. Our PM can then reconcile those to construct our global priority for features.

We basically want a board with "customer" as the columns, and the ability to rank ideas within each column independently.

We've set up a board with columns = Customer (a multi-select field) and ideas can appear in one or more columns depending on the entries in the Customer field. So far so good.

But without explicit sorting, Product Discover seems to use some kind of global internal ranking field to determine the order. In other words, dragging the idea up or down one customer column changes its relative order across all customer columns.

What we want is a per-customer ranking.

Any creative ideas on how to achieve this? I thought about creating a priority field per-customer, but since the sort is global to the board that still won't help.

Thanks,

Andy

2 answers

0 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2024

OK, I think there's an option for you, but I'm not sure it's going to work - here goes:

By default, the rank of ideas is scoped to the project - if you change the rank of an idea in a view, it's reflected across all views, the same way as field values work. 

However we've added an option so you can "detach" a view from that project scope, and make the rank of ideas specific to the view instead. (Sort menu > More options - at the bottom of the sidebar). 

If you use this option, you'll be able to have one view per customer and show the order of ideas as they matter to that specific customer. But you won't be able to show all customers and ideas in the same view with that info. 

0 votes
Rob Mkrtchian May 29, 2024

Maybe you should try to create a separate score field per customer. The score formula variables can be the same for simplicity, but score value will be separated for each customer (e.g. score_customer#1; score_customer#2 etc.), then select "group by" customer field to have distinct grouped view for each customer, so that ideas for different customers would not mess with each other and finally use "sort by" score_customer#1, then add on top of previous sort, "sort by" score_customer#2 etc.? Finally, I assume you will use board view, and when it comes to "column" selection, I usually use Sub-type field (e.g. Boulder, Rock, Paddle), not sure what would work for you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events