Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate existing tickets from a jira software project ( cloud ) to jira product discovery proj

Tenzing Doleck November 1, 2022

Can I migrate existing tickets from a jira software project ( cloud ) to jira product discovery project.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2022
0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2022

Because Product Discovery projects are "team managed" (under the hood) and it is likely the Jira software tickets are from company managed projects, you will need to be careful. Especially as there will likely be a number of fields that are different between the two.
See: Migrate between team-managed and company-managed projects | Jira Work Management Cloud | Atlassian Support for guidance.

But to be honest, I wouldn't do it. I would create "Ideas" in the JPD project and link to the Jira software tickets that way.

Nicole Howard November 2, 2022

We have an "idea" issuetype in our sw products that we usually convert to stories or tasks if we choose one to work on. So moving them over makes perfect sense for us! There aren't any fields we might lose. Going forward we would for sure create the ideas directly in the JPD project. 

(Just giving insight as to why someone might want to move issues over)

Jonathan Hau November 2, 2022

Fwiw, I've done countless imports into JPD, because in my situation we had over 30 Jira Software projects (cloud) I needed to load into JPD. It was a time consuming exercise that required a lot of data cleanup in multiple spreadsheets. I was able to do to it eventually, but it took me several weeks to do.

One thing I wish I had known earlier in the import process was to define a field linking the old tickets to the newly created ones. I found a way to do it, but not after importing over 10 projects. 

I highly recommend doing 'test' imports (with smaller data sets) to see how the data lands in JPD and to ensure that you have all of your necessary fields before doing a massive import job. 

Also, I learned the hard way that I hit endpoint limits, bringing down my company's Jira instance. (You can only create a certain number of Jira tickets within a certain period of time. I've found it's roughly around 500 tickets each hour or so.)

0 votes
Erin Mihalik November 1, 2022

I don't see why not. 

Advanced Issue Search > Bulk Edit > Move

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events