Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we use the "Discovery" status?

Kyren Cabellon May 22, 2023

In the list of statuses, there is "Discovery", although I might have an initial understanding of what it means, I don't know how to use it yet within our team.

What actions or tasks do you usually do when an idea is at "Discovery"?

3 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Christine B May 22, 2023

Hi @Kyren Cabellon this is just an example of how I use the Discovery status in my team's workflow.

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 15.12.31.png

Basically, all requests/ideas need to either:

• have a solution "shaped" (we use the Basecamp approach), or
  • the impact assessed and greenlit

before they can be added to the roadmap.

Everything else that's still gathering requirements in order to either validate the impact (Problem Definition) or the solution (Solution Definition) gets kicked to In Discovery status.

I find this works well for me in conjunction with the Jira Product Discovery templates for Problem Definition and Solution Definition. One thing I wish the product would support is having dedicated fields to add each template to the same idea ticket, rather than having them all go in one big description field.

Kyren Cabellon May 23, 2023

That's awesome. Thank you for giving light to the Discovery phase and also how it works with your team - that gives me more information on how I can approach it. 

@Christine B can you tell me more about how you Assess impact and greenlit?

1 vote
Answer accepted
João Martins May 23, 2023

Thank you, that was a good read @João Martins 

Like João Martins likes this
2 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

@Kyren Cabellon bit of a long watch, but I've recorded a demo for how the team creating Jira Product Discovery uses the product. In particular we don't use status but other fields:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/How-does-the-Jira-Product-Discovery-team-work/ba-p/2314917

Kyren Cabellon May 25, 2023

Thank you @Tanguy Crusson , I am watching now! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events