Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format of the "select" field

Paolo Pastorino October 18, 2022

My understanding is that a "Select" field is text only (thus it cannot be used in a formula).

Would it be feasible to select if it can be a text or a number?

Or by default having it as a number as I may guess it should not cause any harm?

Thanks

Paolo

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2022

Hey Paolo! 

A select field can be used in formulas, but by default, it will report a 0/1 value, regardless if the options are numbers or words. A workaround for that would be to use numbers and add weighting, so it is seen as value by the formula field. I don't think the Fibonacci suite can be supported with this workaround, but at least it gives you the opportunity to have a "closed" list of numbers. 

I've recorded a loom video to show you how to do so: https://www.loom.com/share/0e9f7b0f9e154ea0930bd411ef7ae77c 

I hope it helps, 

Cheers, 

Hermance

Paolo Pastorino October 25, 2022

Thanks @Hermance NDounga for the the suggestion.

It may not be suitable to mimic a Fibonacci series as the weighting cannot be 1-2-3-5-8-13-21, but I can start playing with it.

Dave Harrington July 11, 2023

Cheers, @Hermance NDounga ! Your number weighting approach helped me out here, and saved me having to create an automation to convert custom select list values into numbers. 

1 vote
Jan-Hendrik Spieth October 19, 2022

Hi @Paolo Pastorino , what's keeping you from using a number field, in the first place? Are you maybe trying to model something like an effort scale using fibonacci numbers, or sth like that?

Paolo Pastorino October 19, 2022

Yes, correct.

I would like the user to select only the Fibonacci sequence and use it in a WSJF model through a formula field

Like Corey likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events