Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How we created Jira Product Discovery

Hi everyone, 

Last week I gave a talk at the Atlassian Unleash conference about how we created Jira Product Discovery. It's not a sales pitch about the product, but a story about the journey we went through to create the app. It's a talk about how we used product discovery to create a product for product managers called Jira Product Discovery, so a bit meta, but I hope I gave the topic justice 😅

Here's the talk:

We will share more about how and when we plan to graduate Jira Product Discovery from beta to generally availability soon. 

I hope you're all doing well!

Cheers,

Tanguy

PS: we got a few nice mentions in the news too! e.g. TechCrunch
PS2: I'm not a fan of the second half of the talk, I speak way too fast and can barely follow myself, but here you go
PS3: I'm so glad that's over so I can go back to doing actual product work (no offence, marketers 😆)

10 comments

Brent Vierling February 13, 2023

I thought the 2nd half was just fine.  Excellent talk Tanguy!  Congrats!

Like • Tanguy Crusson likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2023

This was great, Tanguy! I loved hearing the talk. Thanks for sharing!

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I hope you don't mind me saying, but your talk seemed more like a "UX 101" applied, at times ;-) But as a (former) UX professional, I sure find it great to see the UX toolset applied successfully. And it’s good to know such a mindset is deeply baked into the DNA of JPD!

I loved the talk. Such a pity I couldn't be there in person. I hope to meet your team, some day.

Pretty sure JPD turns out to be a big success for Atlassian and us customers! Keep it up!

Like • # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2023

You're right @Jan-Hendrik Spieth , none of this is rocket science, it's a lot of PM 101, UX 101, business 101, common sense 101. It's amazing how many companies I've seen that let go of first principles though. For example when the first question people think about asking a product manager is "when is feature X going to ship?" 🤨 There's also a lot to be said about "the right questions at the right time", e.g. not over-investing until you have evidence it can work.

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2023

You definitely got that right, @Tanguy Crusson! 101's are rocket science, in a way, because it can be so tremendously hard to stick to the (well-established) basics.

And again: it's so great to know JPD has this (your) perspective in its DNA.

So it was meant more as a compliment, than criticism ;-)

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2023

Great talk @Tanguy Crusson , just watched it on-demand.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2023

So it was meant more as a compliment, than criticism ;-)

don't worry that's how I took it :) 

Jean-Emmanuel BANQUEY
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2023

Hi Tanguy and "bravo" !

Very interesting to have a experience sharing like yours. I'm not a PM myself but I'm a bit familiar with those concepts and practices.

I shared the video to all PMs of my company as I am trying to make them adopt JPD as an Agile coach from engineering :)

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2023

Thank you @Jean-Emmanuel BANQUEY ! What you shared reminded me of the first lighthouse users we had. He wasn't a product manager but the CTO - and was keen to help the product team move away from requirements and time-based roadmaps. It worked pretty well for them, but it was a tough transformation. 

In my opinion "product management" is a craft, not a role.

Pieter Bezuijen March 3, 2023

Great talk! Not only about the tool, but also the part about product management itself. Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events