Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

269 comments

Craig January 26, 2022

"However, since its launch in 2019, the performance of Jira’s web and native mobile apps has improved and gone beyond what is possible with the Jira Cloud for Mac app."

Did they forget that they're talking to developers?!

Like # people like this
Matt January 26, 2022

Just joined to say, I believe a native experience for a tool thats used heavily like jira should be a priority and with the best will in the world the web app wont be able to match a native mac app for performance. I do understand the perspective of utilising an on-the-go app for a desktop experience but the transition should be to a standalone mac app if anything not back to web

Like # people like this
Brent Mifsud January 26, 2022

I find it hilarious how there isn't one comment here in support of this move.

Like # people like this
Craig January 26, 2022

@[deleted], i've been using Jira for almost 10 years in various companies and it's been my experience that Atlassian is seldom in tune with its users (or, if they are, it's a very small subset that doesn't represent the majority). Time after time they have made decisions and then had to backtrack after user outcry. Each time I've evaluated the competition and the cost of switching. This is the first time that the competition is good enough and the cost low enough that it might be time. I'm in research mode at the moment, as it sounds like others here are also.

Like # people like this
Matt January 26, 2022

@Craig read this funny quip from ClickUp:

"Hunting for Jira alternatives is no easy task.

Not because there’s a shortage of options, but because Jira is a one-way ticket to a foreign land (that you probably don’t like) and there’s no way out."

Like Craig likes this
Robin Leonard January 26, 2022

Surely Atlassian is secretly planning to release a new mac app in the future? Right? This can't be it. :(

Like Gutte likes this
Brent Mifsud January 26, 2022

@Craig monday.com or shortcut (formerly clubhouse) is looking like a good alternative.

Like Craig likes this
Candradasa January 26, 2022

Hi. First, I know people at Atlassian work hard. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for those involved. However, this is still frustrating to read. I was hoping Atlassian would invest in making a proper native Mac app—that's the issue.

Having made your decision, I hope you will at least allow others to make a Mac app that can access Jira fully so we can avoid browser use, which is not nearly as effective for some of us as this blog post suggests.

With best wishes,

Candradasa 

Like Gutte likes this
Issac Osis January 26, 2022

Jira web will never be as fast as the Mac app was, sad news as every release the web has gotten slower and the mac app has remained fast.

Like # people like this
Scott McDowell January 26, 2022

Gah! I only discovered the native app a couple weeks ago and feel so much more at home. This feels like I’ve arrived at the party right as the DJ packs up their sound system.

Like # people like this
Matthew Snyder January 26, 2022

The app sat in my dock and separated from all of my browser windows for easy access and fast performance.  Will we be able to add this browser version  to the dock?

Like # people like this
Arzeny Zakharov January 27, 2022

Mac app is times better in responsiveness and memory footprint, what a shame to sunset it.

I've been using Jira for 15 years, and i've never been happier when i've discovered the standalone app.

Like Gutte likes this
Ingo Mohr January 27, 2022

Though I would love a truly great native app for macOS, I never liked the macOS app. I still use the web version.

However, I really hope that a multi-platform native app as suggested in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78044 will come up.

Daniel Chalk January 27, 2022

A terrible decision, the Mac app provides a great experience and avoids much of the bloat that comes using the web app. I would have hoped this would be been extended to Windows also. If you're going to decommission this app, at least provide a minimal mode for the web app.

Like Gutte likes this
Gutte January 27, 2022

Developers often use multiple services on dally basis. having the option to use each as a standalone Desktop app rather than have a browser tab for each service is important!

This is a very sad news for me! I hate the browser experience (BTW, Confluence is even worse, since you might forget to 'publish' your work)

I would always choose a desktop app over another open browser tab

Hope you reconsider 🙏

If any, Apple make it super easy today to create a cross (apple) platform apps, so you can develop a Mac and iOS apps in a single code base

Like Tommy Minahan likes this
Daniel Chalk January 27, 2022

Alternatively, release the source and allow the community to pick it up?

Like # people like this
Andrew Chepurny January 27, 2022

Speaking as someone who is in several JIRA projects using different logins, this is a huge mistake.  Yes, I know I can have multiple Google Chrome profiles and have JIRA on every one of them, but the account "Switch Site" feature is paramount to my productivity in multi tasking between different customers and different projects.  

I IMPLORE Atlassian to reconsider this.

Like # people like this
Chris Doss January 27, 2022

I'm disappointed in this decision. it seems like you guys are going backwards with this choice. Working within the browser is not a good user experience.

Like Tommy Minahan likes this
Daniel Bergquist January 27, 2022

This is awful. The Mac version has its issues, yes. It often felt like it was not getting the UX/dev attention it deserves.

But most of the time it was more enjoyable to use than the cluttered, slow, and bloated web app. If I could avoid using the web version of Jira ever again, I would be very happy.

Like # people like this
Robert Baron January 27, 2022

This is not the way to make your customers happy by disabling the preferred method of using your platform.  The desktop app works so much better than the web app, just as the mobile app works better than the mobile browser version.  Please reverse this decision and keep supporting the desktop version.  It's what your customers want!

Like effeKtSVK likes this
BillMcLean January 27, 2022

I find the app mac a better user experience than using Jira within the browser. Understandably there is a desire to minimize ongoing development costs.

In light of the overwhelming success of the 2021 Mac Book Pro and the M1 architecture since October 2021, there likely will be a massive uptick in the use of the macOS version of Jira. So a decision to drop the mac app support may be premature.

Given the choice between the web app or mac app, my choice is the mac app hands down.

Please reconsider and keep the mac support.

Regards

Like Scott McDowell likes this
lululombard January 27, 2022

If the web version wasn't awfully slow I wouldn't care... But it's almost unusable. I really liked the Mac version.

Mikhail.Shlensky January 27, 2022

Very, Very Bad Idea to discontinue Jira Mac Application

Rick Callahan January 27, 2022

Atlassian Management -  #BadDecision

Ilya Kaygorodov January 27, 2022

This is a terrible decision =(

Native app is so much better in all ways.

Like Alex Devane likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events