Unable to assign an item to a user, but it worked previously.

Chris Welch January 6, 2021

We were doing our sprint planning yesterday and we were unable to assign tasks to a user. This developer has been in our system for 6+ months and we have been assigning work to them regularly. 

They are in the system under the admin console. In Jira when I search people, they do not appear. This person can get into jira and can even assign themselves to the task. NOTHING has changed on our end. This is cloud hosted. 

Any suggestions?

4 answers

0 votes
Chris Welch January 11, 2021

Just as an update, we made no changes to this user and this morning everything is back working as normal. Very strange. 

0 votes
Mike R January 11, 2021

@Chris Welch : have you resolved this yet?  It's happening to me too.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, my name doesn't appear in Search when someone else is trying to assign me an issue or put my name in a field.  Several other co-workers have verified that they can't find my name.

@Prince Nyeche : perhaps this is a bug that should be escalated to the JIRA product team.

Chris Welch January 11, 2021

It is working now. We didn't do anything to the profile at all. We came in this morning after the weekend and it was working. 

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Hi @Chris Welch 

Have you thoroughly checked what changed recently? did the Sprint Board filter change to a newer filter, adding more Projects or subtracting more projects? As Sprint are not particularly tied to a specific Project or Board, so in order to understand why you're unable to assign issues to the user. You need to trace what particular issue and on what project is this issue from. Only then can you check the permissions to see what's affecting the user.

I have checked all of that. Nothing changed. It is just this one user. They do not even show up when I search for People within Jira. This is what is really strange. The user is working fine and can assign her own tasks. 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Then it is very likely that the user has changed their profile visibility. which masks their user identity on Jira. This would be a problem to search for the user, thus you can't assign task or even @ mention the user. Ask the user what's their current settings on this link for contact email? If it's set to "Only you and Admin" that could be the cause.

Chris Welch January 8, 2021

Just looked and it all looks good. This is very frustrating. Thanks for the suggestion!!

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2021

1. Check Permissions of the current project

2.  check this - Assignable User

3. verify the person is in group / role

Hoping this may helps a bit

All good in that area. It is very odd. It worked for the last sprint and 3 weeks later it is not working. 

Suggest an answer