Limit of custom fields in Jira

Vans Llavore October 27, 2020

Hi may I ask if there is a limit in creating custom fields in Jira?

If yes, what is the soft and hard limit?

If no, is there any configuration in Jira where I can set limit for creating?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

Your "hard limit" is a big number that you will never reach.  (32,768 custom fields, and that's assuming you are using really old versions!)  Jira has no limit, but assumes you do not want to do realy silly things  with it.

Forget it, the "soft" limit is "what your humans can cope with", which should be low.   If you have more than 100 custom fields, there is a 80% chance you have a process problem, not a software one.

Vans Llavore October 27, 2020

Hi Nic!

Thank you for your response. 

Is there any configuration in Jira where I can set limit for creating custom fields?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

No.

The fact you have asked this suggests that you have people creating fields that they should not be.  Take that permission away from them immediately and only give it back after they've been trained better.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events