Is there a way to restrict field access (prevent it from showing in filters and on screen) for users

Arundhati Kailasnath July 28, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping there is a solution for my question.  We would like to create a field but also restrict access for certain security reasons.  While one group of people should be able to create, view or query the field, the rest of the user group should not be able to view data, query or see it as filter results.

Have anybody worked through this issue before?

Thanks,!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2020

Hi @Arundhati Kailasnath - There is no field level security in Jira Cloud as you have described. You certainly cannot hide a field in a filter for some users and not for other users. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2020

I only have partial answer for you because I have done this on server systems only:

I have worked with this function before and there are several criteria: the field cannot be a system field and it cannot be a required field because the end user if they do not have permissions to see will never meet the criteria.

check your Cloud documentation for field schema: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/associating-field-behavior-with-issue-types-776636450.html

and create a field schema for that project.

Hiding it from a filter--that part I have never done.

Arundhati Kailasnath July 29, 2020

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events