Is it possible to set up a template project, and link several projects as children?

jane zhou March 1, 2021

Hi Someone who may concern,

In RTC, we can define a template project, and make several other projects use the configuration from this project, i.e. if we update this template project, say add a new attribute, or add an option for an attribute, all the projects as children will be changed automatically. i.e. we do not need to go to every project to do change.

We are wondering whether there is such a feature in JIRA? We know we can use deep clone add-on to clone the project, but it only works when project initialization. After that, if we want to change something, we still need to go to every project to do change.

Since we are planning to migrate from RTC to Jira, we want to know whether this will be something JIRA can not provide?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Jane 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi Jane - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There's not exactly the functionality in Jira that you describe but close. You can create a base project, or template project if you will, and then base future projects that you create on that project. 

When you create a new project, you have the opportunity to create it based on an existing project. It will copy forward the shared schemes used by the template project - permissions, workflows, screens, etc. 

And since you are using shared objects, if you change the object, for example the workflow, then it it changed for all of the projects that use that shared object. 

I hope that helps a little. 

jane zhou March 2, 2021

Hi John,

Thank you very much! 

I tried today, it works. 

Best Regards,

Jane Zhou

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Great! Can you click on the Accept Answer button above so we can close this one out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events