How to generate report based on Project Category?

Michael Voronkov April 6, 2017

Since there's no such field "Project Category" or "Category", how can I generate report based on Project Category? 

None of the gadgets give me ability to break results by category and I don't want to create another custom field.

NOTE: this is not about searching by category

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2017

A majority of the reports and gadgets are based on "show me a saved filter", so you can do a search by category to get a result.

Could you tell us what you are trying to use that does not allow you to use category?  Or, more importantly, what are the reports you are trying to generate that would lean on the categegory if they could?  (In plain "user wants to know x" style, not JIRA-speak)

Michael Voronkov April 7, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for response.  Yes, I can do a JQL serach by project category(ies), but that's not the point.  The goal is to display results on a dashboard by project category.  The limitation of the gadgets is that they display data based on JIRA fields.  "Project Category" is not a field, hence the problem.

My use case is: take ANY data set (from saved filter or JQL in a gadget) and break it down by project category.

So I was curious if there're off the shelf solutions before I either create a new custom field to store Project Cetegory value or import into BI solution (ex: Tablea) and break it down there.

No_Project_Category_Field.png

Suggest an answer