How to delete a Due Date from an Epic

Janine White May 14, 2019

I accidentally added a due date to an Epic.  When I click on the DUE DATE field, the only option is to select another date.  It is a next-gen project. How do I delete a due date from an Epic?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I was able to delete the due date by switching platforms.  The iPhone Jira app provides Remove in the date selection, even though the web version in Chrome on Windows 10 does not.

Jean-Michel Bernard March 17, 2020

Thanks a lot, that's funny/strange that it's been implemented for mobile app but not on web app.

Like luciano.x.proenca likes this
Eishle April 4, 2020

Oh my gosh! THANK! YOU!

Actually, this reply was intended to be for @Kristoffer Bakkejord. Obviously, I was way to excited to solve this &%zk problem. 🤪

Like luciano.x.proenca likes this
8 votes
Kristoffer Bakkejord July 12, 2019

I'm on a Mac/Firefox. I had issues as well (there's no intuitive way to clear the due date), but after reading here I tried this:

1. Select the field so you get the date picker
  2. Ctrl+A, then <backspace>, then <enter> (yes, it requires this combination, on a Mac...)

This should remove the due date.

This is definitely a bug, it should be possible to remove the due date without resorting to arbitrary ways of clearing the field.

Peter September 9, 2019

Also using Windows 10 with Google Chrome and facing the same issue.

The trick from Kristoffer works! One should use <backspace> because <delete> is not working.

You can see Jira reacting when you press <backspace>: the calendar jumps to the current month and the current day gets underlined. Same as you enter a due date field in a ticket without a due date.

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2019

Hello Janine, 

Follow the steps below to properly delete your Due date:

- Click in the due date field - It will display the calendar to select a date

- Don't select any date, but click on the Delete/Backspace key to clear the date field

- Although the date seems to be not cleared, it will be removed once you click out the due date field or click Enter 

We understand how confusing and not user-friendly this problem is, so we have reported a bug with our development team to get it fixed:

Unable to clear due dates in an easy way for Next-Gen projects

Feel free to vote and watch the bug to receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Unfortunately, this doesn't clear the due date for me.  I tried Delete and Backspace, with Enter or clicking out.  The date is not cleared. Ctrl-A doesn't select the due date as suggested in the bug ticket. When I reload the page in Chrome on Windows 10, the date is still there.

The only way I was able to remove the due date was to find the Epic in the Jira app on my iPhone and use the Remove provided in the date selection there.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2019

Hello Janine,

Thank you for sharing the solution that worked for you.

additionally, have you tried the workaround mentioned in the bug report? Here it is:

- Click at the field and full select the value using (CTRL+A or COMMAND+A) and hit delete and enter.

If it does not work for you, we will try to reproduce it with the same setup you are using and, if it is reproducible from our side, we will add a comment to the bug informing this workaround is not working for your specific setup (Windows 10 with Google Chrome) to properly increase the impact of the bug.

Janine White May 15, 2019

No, it didn’t work. See my first reply.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2019

Thank you for your confirmation, Janine.

Also, I would like to suggest you try it in incognito mode or in a different browser, just to be sure you are not facing any cache problem.

While you try it, I will check if I can reproduce this same behavior in my virtual machine (I'm using Mac) to have the exact same scenario as you.

As soon as I test it, I will let you know my results.

kpink October 10, 2019

Since May no update @Petter Gonçalves ?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2019

Hello @kpink

Actually, we are currently in progress to get fixed together with a patch that is scheduled to be implemented next month.

Until the implementation of the fix, please perform one of the workarounds mentioned in the link below:

Unable to delete due date from Jira new issue view 

You can also feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Suggest an answer