Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to insert an architecture review step into Feature creation?

SANDERS, MANDY September 17, 2023

I need to know if this is technically possible and the right words to use when speaking to my Jira Align administrators. I'm open to any and all suggestions about the best way to accomplish what we need.

When a new feature is created, I need the creator to indicate if the work is architecturally-significant. I've been told that a required field can be added to the feature for this purpose. (Though the team is a bit hesitant as they say this would use up their last custom field???) I would prefer that the creator be forced to answer 10 simple yes/no questions and that answering yes to any of them would result in architecturally-significant = yes, but we can attempt to handle that via education if necessary.

The next step is the one that I do not know how to accomplish... If architecturally-significant = yes, I need the appropriate architect to be notified so they can make sure a peer review occurs at the appropriate time. Each Jira project has an associated architect, but I maintain this list in a spreadsheet because I don't know how to do it in JA. 

In a perfect world, a Jira story would be automatically created and assigned to the appropriate architect so they can track the status of the peer review.

In an even more perfect world, the feature would not be allowed to move to an Accepted status until the peer review is complete.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you would tackle this requirement.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2023

Hi @SANDERS, MANDY ,

What you are describing is best addressed through process vs platform- or tool-enforced requirements.

You can certainly have your 10 questions in Jira and do the scoring there. That logic won't and can't go to Jira Align via the current connector.

On the Jira Align Side you could simply use the feature type to indicate an architecturally-significant feature vs a business feature. Jira Align has several feature types that can be used to indicate, enabler, architectural. non-functional, debt, etc. The list is not expandable or customizable, but you can choose to use the existing list as you chose.

You can use the process flow functionality in Jira Align to insert an Architecture Review step for all features for a program (team-of-teams). Architects for the program can be notified each time a feature flows through that step for review.  You can't add logic in Jira Align (at this time) to route features to specific architects. 

Regards,
Peter 

Jason September 18, 2023

I totally agree with Peter.  I would also add that there is limited to no custom automation in Jira Align like there is with Automation for Jira or other apps in Jira. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events