Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I measure lead time by Portfolio Epic?

Brian Forsner January 26, 2024

I'm looking for Lead Time data for a list of Epics, but we currently only want to measure this by a subset of process steps (Analyzing - > Accepted).  Can export a list of epics with the time spent in each process step? 

Reports exist to indicate this data is available.

3 answers

0 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2024

Hi @Brian Forsner  👋

As an alternative, you can try - Time in Status for Jira, which gives you Lead Time by a Particular Period (by week, sprint, etc). Then you can export all necessary data as a report in XLS or CVS .

To track Jira Lead time only for a particular week or sprint, all you need is to filter issues by Sprint or choose the necessary week as a date range.

TIS 4.png

TIS 5.png

Another option can be Time Between Statuses. This add-on measures connections in the workflow, through a transition time in specific issues. 
You can count Lead Time by setting start/stop and pause statuses in the configuration manager. 

Time Between Satuses.jpg

Then you can export all necessary data as a report in XLS or CVS as well.

Add-ons have a 30-day free trial versions, free up to 10 users and developed by SaaSJet as well.
Hope it helps 😌

0 votes
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 29, 2024

Update on May 9th, 2024: Time in Status by OBSS was recently rebranded as Timepiece. It is still the same capable app with the same dedicated team behind it. The answer below mentions the app as "Time in Status" but you can find the app in the marketplace as "Timepiece (formerly Time in Status)". 

Hello @Brian Forsner ,

In order to measure Lead Time for your epics I can recommend Time in Status app which is built by my team at OBSS. It is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. 

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status and on each assignee

Time in Status offers two report types for your case:

The first one is Status Duration report (please see the screenshot above) which shows how much time each issue spent on each status. You can combine the time for multiple statuses to get metrics like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. 

Lead Time.png

As an alternative approach, Time in Status also has Duration Between Statuses report type which shows the duration between two specific statuses. This report type also allows the user to exclude the times for "pause" statuses.

Report Types DBS.png

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per customer or average resolution time per sprint, week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend. All these report types, including averages and sums, can be turned into charts.

Time in Status calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST. Also you can export the reports in to various formats easily. 

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png    tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

Visit Time in Status to explore how our JIRA add-on can revolutionize your metrics measurement process. Enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features. 

Hope it helps,

Gizem

Brian Forsner January 29, 2024

How does this help for see the age of Portfolio Epics in Jira Align?

Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
February 4, 2024

I am so sorry Brian. I missed that the question was about Jira Align. The solution I suggested is valid for Jira epics.

0 votes
Edvaldo Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2024

Hi @Brian Forsner

if you're looking to know how long Epics were in a certain process step status I believe you use the following report in Jira Align.

I hope it helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events