Epic burndown accross multiple PIs

ytoeda June 18, 2020

Epic level burndown from Program Increment Progress is useful but it only let's me pick one PI. Since Epics are assigned to multiple PIs, it would be useful if we could generate Epic burndown encompassing all PIs assigned to it.

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2020

From my experience, a burndown chart is useful when you know all of the work required to get it to done.  For stories, we define all of the work (stories and tasks) for the iteration.  For features, if we do effective PI/Big room planning we define all of the work (stories) for the PI/Quarterly timebox.  

Because the Portfolio Epic can cross multiple PIs and with the approach of incremental definition of development and delivery, we may not define all the work that we need to do as part of the epic.  We try to avoid big up front definition for epics so we may not define all features and stories to get it to done.  We may only create some feature placeholders and as we validate our value of the work we do, we may adjust, pivot or even stop development of the epic.  That said, a burndown chart for epics may not be effective.

If you are passionate about this request, submit an enhancement request in our ideas.agilecraft.com   

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2020

@ytoeda 

You may want to consider using the Portfolio Epic Planning Function - 

From any Portfolio Epic - in the Right "Links" section of the Portfolio Epic, click "Portfolio Epic Planning" 

This view provides you a burndown based on the forecasted team/member weeks estimated for the Epic and it's associated child Features.  This view does require that at a minimum the portfolio managers are "SWAG-ing" the Epics in Team/Member weeks and the Product Managers are doing the same at the feature level. 

Remember:  Business Agility requires refinement of estimates as part of the decentralization of duties/decision making. 

Pro Tip:  Don't forget to use these estimates (SWAGs) as part of your train & portfolio I&A sessions in order to improve continuously! 

ytoeda June 22, 2020

Thank you so much @Tina Behers . This is fantastic. I did not know about this feature!

Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Glad to be of assistance!  There are loads of little "hidden gems" in Jira Align it took me 5 years to find them all! 

Like ytoeda likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events