How can untruncate links in Hipchat?

It seems links are automatically truncated with a '...' at the end if they're too long in HipChat. 

Does anyone know if there's an option for disabling this?

It makes it a lot more difficult to copy/paste the link when this happens.

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hey Derek!

Sadly I don't believe there is a way to disable this.  In fact, I believe it's by design.

That said, one thing you can try as a workaround is to use the /code or /quote slash commands before the URL.  That seems to bypass the truncation of super long strings, (at least for me).

Thanks!

Thanks Cody!

Yeah that's too bad, I really wish there were some more granular formatting controls you could set with HipChat admin.

I'll have to tell my users that's the workaround for now!

Do you know if there are any existing feature requests open for this by chance? The old help.Atlassian links all forward to their new "improved" help site. wink

No problem!  And I feel ya.  HipChat is great, but there's a lot of catching up that needs to happen to make it more solid competition for Slack and the like.

And I don't believe there's currently a ticket in place.  Or at least, none that I could find at https://jira.atlassian.com.  I suggest you create a request there.  smile

And if you feel this answer was satisfactory, I'd appreciate it if you'd mark it as Accepted.

Thanks!

Thanks! I'll open a ticket there.

@Derek Noort, this seems to be one of many flaws in the software, in my opinion. Even if "by design" there should be a way to disable it, so that people can see the full text (similar to disabling emoticons), as it stops things from being useful, such as copy and paste. Keeping stuff like this in, might be an attempt for people to keep using the system for historical purposes once a company starts using it. As a developer, I think this is a bad design and way of doing business. Even the /code or /quote stuff is a bad workaround, as that requires everyone sending you messages to do the same thing. I'm not sure why you accepted Cody's answer... as it clearly isn't an answer smile

Hi James. While I agree with you there should be a way to disable this, I don't agree that Cody's response was not an answer. He clearly answered exactly what I was wondering. 

If I was directly asking Atlassian to fix this and they said no, I would definitely not accept their answer laugh

Cody doesn't work for Atlassian...

You clearly care about this issue so here's the place to complain about this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-467

Cheers

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

242 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you