Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can untruncate links in Hipchat?

Derek Noort April 4, 2016

It seems links are automatically truncated with a '...' at the end if they're too long in HipChat. 

Does anyone know if there's an option for disabling this?

It makes it a lot more difficult to copy/paste the link when this happens.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Hey Derek!

Sadly I don't believe there is a way to disable this.  In fact, I believe it's by design.

That said, one thing you can try as a workaround is to use the /code or /quote slash commands before the URL.  That seems to bypass the truncation of super long strings, (at least for me).

Thanks!

Thanks Cody!

Yeah that's too bad, I really wish there were some more granular formatting controls you could set with HipChat admin.

I'll have to tell my users that's the workaround for now!

Do you know if there are any existing feature requests open for this by chance? The old help.Atlassian links all forward to their new "improved" help site. wink

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

No problem!  And I feel ya.  HipChat is great, but there's a lot of catching up that needs to happen to make it more solid competition for Slack and the like.

And I don't believe there's currently a ticket in place.  Or at least, none that I could find at https://jira.atlassian.com.  I suggest you create a request there.  smile

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2016

And if you feel this answer was satisfactory, I'd appreciate it if you'd mark it as Accepted.

Thanks!

Thanks! I'll open a ticket there.

0 votes
Derek Noort July 5, 2016

Hi James. While I agree with you there should be a way to disable this, I don't agree that Cody's response was not an answer. He clearly answered exactly what I was wondering. 

If I was directly asking Atlassian to fix this and they said no, I would definitely not accept their answer laugh

Cody doesn't work for Atlassian...

You clearly care about this issue so here's the place to complain about this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-467

Cheers

0 votes
jamesoravec July 5, 2016

@Derek Noort, this seems to be one of many flaws in the software, in my opinion. Even if "by design" there should be a way to disable it, so that people can see the full text (similar to disabling emoticons), as it stops things from being useful, such as copy and paste. Keeping stuff like this in, might be an attempt for people to keep using the system for historical purposes once a company starts using it. As a developer, I think this is a bad design and way of doing business. Even the /code or /quote stuff is a bad workaround, as that requires everyone sending you messages to do the same thing. I'm not sure why you accepted Cody's answer... as it clearly isn't an answer smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events