The commit graph hides too much information, is there a way around it?

Mike_Hermann August 30, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Ordering of Branches Important When Visualizing Git Changesets

The commit graph view is offered to visualize how changesets have been committed and merged. Changesets are shown as part of a swimlane/branch using a "dot" indicator. The default behaviour of the view is to only display such dots for the left-most swimlane. In other words, dot indicators are not shown for all the other branches.

Observation: It is very difficult to use this view, to understand changeset relationships. In order to un-hide important changeset information, you need to swap swimlanes back and fort. Once you've done this a couple of times, it becomes impossible to keep which is which straight in your head.

Diagnosis: this view does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to: summarise important changeset information. Instead, it forces the user to manipulate the view, to extract details that are required, and forces the user to do the job of keeping a complete picture. In other words, the view forces the user to do the work.

Question 1: is there a way to suppress this default "one swimlane indicator only" display mode, so that changesets appear in all relevant branches?

Question 2: if this is not a feature, how does one submit an official request for a software change/feature?

1 answer

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2016

Hi Mike,

Let me answer your questions:

Q1: No, you can't show a given commit on all branches in the commit graph. 

Q2: You can report improvement requests on jira.atlassian.com, project "FishEye" (FE).

Let me also ask you one question:

What information exactly are you looking for on the commit graph?

Cheers
Marek 

Mike_Hermann August 31, 2016

Thanks for the quick response. I will submit the feature request.

"What information exactly are you looking for on the commit graph?"

I want to see which commits are in which branch(es), all at the same time, without having to drag swimlanes around.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2016

For such purpose you can click on the "Activity" tab. For each commit you will see a list of branches:commit_and_branches.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events