cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Curious Case of the Disappearing Defect

Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Interesting possible bug?

A file was added to the review as a diff. I moved the sliders to only select the latest revision so I could see all lines of code, and added a defect on line 8 (which doesn't appear in the diff).

When the diff is displayed, my defect appears at the top of the page. If I click "Edit" on the Defect, it disappears. The replies to my defect are still displayed. I have to change my selection so that I am looking at the whole file and the applicable line of code with the Defect on it in order to edit my Defect. It doesn't matter which revision I look at, as long as Line 8 is identical to the Line 8 I made the Defect against.

This also happens on when I have multiple revisions/commits added to a single review. As lines are changed, often in response to a defect, over the various commits, my Defects/Comments will disppear when I try to edit them unless I go to the specific revions/commit with the original/unchanged line of code that the Defect was made against.

I don't understand this "feature". What is the purpose for requiring me to change my selected revision/diff in order to edit an existing defect/comment? Is there somewhere that gets into the "nitty gritty" of how specific lines of code and defects/comments relate when it comes to display and edit, because this is not intuitive.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

What I finally figured out is that when I have more than one set of revisions on my diff, this will happen. Apparently the defect is tied to the particular revision/diff that it was made against. I still haven't figured out how to pinpoint which revision/diff owns the defect, but usually we can play with it until it stays when edit is clicked.

However, this is painful.

0 votes
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013

Please note that we edit Defects to change Defect Classifications, which is why displaying the specific line of code isn't necessary.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events