Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making reviews work like "git difftool" in Crucible

lophat February 24, 2015

We have been using Crucible for a couple months now, and there's something we don't quite get.   If I do a diff using a diff tool, like:

git difftool master..mybranch

I see the current state of "mybranch" being compared to the current state of "master".  If I create a review in Crucible and use "Choose Branches", I see the "sum" of each individual commit. Here's the difference...

If a developer creates a branch, and in commit A they have modified a file, then in commit B they have removed the file, and I create a Crucible review, I see the changes in commit A as part of the review.  If I do "git difftool", as above, I don't see the file at all, because it no longer exists.  This is the preferred functionality.  Does anyone know how to achieve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2015

If a developer creates a branch, and in commit A they have modified a file, then in commit B they have removed the file, and I create a Crucible review, I see the changes in commit A as part of the review.  If I do "git difftool", as above, I don't see the file at all, because it no longer exists.

In this scenario both Crucible and git diftool would show change to this file I believe.  Just to be clear - file existed on a main branch before, you modified the file on commit A (on new branch) and then deleted it subsequently on on commit B (on the same new branch)?  When comparing this branch to master you surely would see a difference, file still exists on a master and does not exist on your branch any more.

I am guessing there might be a confusion in different scenario, when file was created and then removed on subsequent commit, both commits made on a new branch.  In this scenario git difftool would not show such file at all, while Crucible would indeed show such file as touched on a review, though it would be shown as deleted and no diff would be presented.  Arguably such file could perhaps be ignored and not shown on Crucible review at all.  Fell free to raise a feature enhancement in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CRUC project, so this could be addressed if more customers vote on this issue.

Hope that helps,
Piotr 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events