Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to define FISHEYE_INST when installing FishEye?

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2011

What's the purpose of this environment variable?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dylan Hansen May 20, 2011

The FISHEYE_INST environment variable allows you to separate your FishEye installation data (caches, indexes, temp files, etc.) from the installation binaries. The FISHEYE_INST environment variable is optional. If you choose not to set it, by default FishEye will create all installation data inside the directory that you unpack the binaries.

Please note that this environment variable is differnt from FISHEYE_HOME variable. By default, FISHEYE_HOME is the directory that contains the default binaries that are shipped with the product.

For more information, please see the following documents:

spuddy ಠ_ಠ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2011

Note that this INST/HOME naming convention in FishEye/Crucible is different to the other Atlassian products. For example, JIRA_HOME refers to the same type of directory that FISHEYE_INST does.

Tom Davies
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2011
While you don't *need* to define it, you *should* if you are running an instance you expect to upgrade. Having a separate FISHEYE_INST directory makes upgrades easier -- you don't need to transfer the installation data from the old unpacked binaries directory to the new.
0 votes
Peter Bernier March 11, 2012

I needed to have it created in order to get FishEye successfully installed. (2.7.11)

0 votes
Jeff Jeff June 11, 2011

I was running through Stage 5 of the DragonSlayer and ran into a problem related to this answer, so thought I'd post my observation:

In these Slayer instructions, it has the user setup FECRU_INST, but you never set FISHEYE_INST. Then when you get to step 3.8, you're only given the option of using "FISHEYE_INST/lib" when trying to tell the wizard where you JDBC driver lives. This got me completely stuck because the FISHEYE_INST variable is never set. From reading the details above, guess I could have just put the JDBC driver into my application installation /lib directory, but didn't find this information until I had already restarted the fisheye/crucible installation section over from scratch end setting both variables FECRU_INST and FISHEYE_INST and going back over the steps. Worked.. =)

rverschoor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2011
FECRU_INST is a typo, it should be FISHEYE_INST. This typo has been reported internally to get it fixed in the documentation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events