Crucible Loses Application Link After Being Offline

James Alexander April 25, 2016

I am using a self-hosted Crucible machine, and have linked it to our Atlassian Cloud instance of JIRA. We are hosting the Crucible machine on an AWS machine. I have and am able to configure the Application Links between the two machines and they work well.

Most of our developers work solely Monday through Friday, so we automatically turn the AWS instance off in the evenings (shutdown at 7pm and start at 6am the next morning) and on weekends (7pm shutdown Friday night, doesn't start again until 6am Monday morning) to save the cost of running a machine when it is not used. However, I am finding that on Monday morning, the Application Link between JIRA and crucible does not work anymore. Specifically, certain tickets that have shown a "review" link (see screenshot below) in JIRA no longer indicate that any review exists.

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 3.25.54 PM.png

My work-around for this so far has been to remove and recreate the Application links on Monday morning. This works, and I can see all of the "review" links again in the "Development" section of each JIRA ticket.

Is there any reason why these application links would fail on Monday morning? Through the week everything works fine. This includes down time for roughly 11 hours each evening. Any other ideas / suggestions would be welcome as well.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
lpater
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2016

Hi James,

Could you verify if when the review links disappear, you can instead see the 'source' and 'review' tabs in the issue screen?

Also it's worth checking if at the time you can see any errors in the 'Development tools' section of the project admin screen for an affected project - it shouldn't report any errors and look like this:

image2016-4-27 11:42:10.pngIf you see any warnings there, hitting the 'refresh' button on that screen should resolve them if the instance is up and accessible.

James Alexander April 27, 2016

Thanks for filling me in on the "Development Tools" screen, I hadn't found it. Hitting the refresh button is much easier than relinking. 

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2016

Have you asked your System Admins yet? Since this is AWS, it must be load balanced and not all the JIRA instances may not be linkted to the Crucible instances.

James Alexander April 25, 2016

I'm using a single instance in AWS to host Crucible. You're thinking that Atlassian Cloud is load balanced and each JIRA Cloud instance may not be linked to my Crucible instance? I will post a request over on their support page next. I wanted to pose the question to the community first to see if anyone else has run into this behavior.

We haven't always shut off crucible in the evenings and weekends. Prior to us starting this routine, I had no issues with the Application Links failing between Crucible and JIRA. I don't know that the downtime is the full cause, but there is a strong correlation. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events