Connecting two JIRA instances using Application Link

christine xu February 12, 2013

Here is the situation: There are two servers (both with JIRA installed) running in two different locations behind each company’s firewall. The goal is to connect these two JIRAs together, and share issues. If there is an issue created in one JIRA, and the other JIRA would be able to have read and write access to this issues as well.

I tried to connect two JIRA instances together using Application Link based on the following two Atlassian documentations.

1. Federating JIRA – Managing Multiple Instances

2. Configuring Trusted Apps Authentication for an Application Link

However, the Incoming Authentication configuration cannot be setup successfully. It gives me the error message like Unable to retrieve the application's certificate.

My question is, is there another way to connect two JIRA together, and how to do that?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2013

Hi Christine,

Apparently, the only way to connect 2 JIRA instances is by using Application Link. In fact, the application link acts as a 'bridge' to connect 2 different Atlassian application (example: JIRA to JIRA, JIRA to Confluence, JIRA to FishEye, etc). Hence, since you would like to integrate 2 instances, then I believe that configuring application link is the way to go.

Therefore, I think we will have to fix the error the "Unable to retrieve the application's certificate", in order to integrate your JIRA instances. There may be a number of reason why the problem occurred, but commonly the problem would only occur when there's a proxy involved in the network.

Hence, may I know if there's any proxy configured in the network? If yes, any SSL? If there's a proxy configured in the network, can you try to bypass the proxy and setup the application link, and see if it helps?

christine xu February 13, 2013

Thank you Ahmad. It seems like it is the SSL problem.

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Thanks for the update Christine, it's great to know that the issue is now fixed on your end.

Have a nice day.

3 votes
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2017

Hi Christine,

Another possibility to achieve the wanted behavior is to use Backbone Issue Sync for JIRA.

Backbone allows you to set up a synchronization between two (or multiple) JIRA instances, even if those systems can't reach it other due to firewall regulations.
Instead you can use a file binding (either via e-mail or file exchange), allowing the two instances to communicate with each other. You can find further information about this in our docs:

I hope that information helps. If there are any further questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Cheers,
Nils

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events