cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Guidance and Mentorship on my DevOps Journey

mazzax6
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 15, 2023

Hello, fellow DevOps enthusiasts!

I recently stumbled upon this amazing group and wanted to introduce myself. I've spent the past decade working as a QA tester, but I'm now eager to explore the world of DevOps and embark on a new career path. However, I believe that having a mentor by my side would greatly accelerate my progress and help me navigate the intricacies of this exciting field.

I've attended meetups and reached out to various individuals, but unfortunately, I haven't received the guidance I'm seeking. That's why I'm turning to this community, hoping to find someone who is willing to share their wisdom and insights to help me achieve my goal of becoming a proficient DevOps engineer.

If you're an experienced DevOps professional who's passionate about mentoring and guiding newcomers like me, or if you can provide valuable pointers and advice, I would be immensely grateful for your support.

I'm genuinely excited to connect with all of you and eagerly look forward to your responses. Together, let's embark on this DevOps journey and unlock the incredible opportunities it offers!

2 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2023

Hello @mazzax6 

Welcome to the community!

I find that if you ask 10 people what it means to be a DevOps engineer then you will get 10 different answers.

What type of skills specifically are you looking to acquire? DevOps covers a wide range of topics - system engineering/administration, cloud engineering, security engineering, incident management, environment monitoring, CI/CD, product development practices, ...

You may find this site help in your journey to understanding DevOps.

https://www.devopsinstitute.com/

mazzax6
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 16, 2023

In terms of skills, I'm interested in system engineering/administration, cloud engineering, CI/CD, and incident management. These areas align with my career aspirations and would be valuable for my transition into a DevOps role. I will definitely check out the website you mentioned, devopsinstitute.com, to further deepen my understanding of DevOps. Are there free alternatives?

I would also like to mention that I'm still actively seeking a mentor who can provide guidance and support on my DevOps journey. If anyone in the community is willing to volunteer as a mentor or knows someone who might be interested, I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to learn from an experienced professional.  

If anyone has additional advice or recommendations on specific learning materials or tools that can help me on my DevOps journey, I would greatly appreciate it.

1 vote
Thayne Munson June 15, 2023

Hello mazzxa6.  I am similarly enthused about DevOps. My manager is a DevOps guru so I am learning a lot.  My first question is, have you read 'The Phoenix Project', by Gene Kim?  From my perspective it is a must read for all aspiring DevOps professionals.  Enjoy!

Thayne Munson

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events