cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server question

Robert Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2022

I have three products (Jira, Confluence, Crowd) all point to the same physical server, but each with their own database.

Jira and Confluence can connect to their respective databases with no issues.

Crowd does not. I am trying to figure out why, and in the course of looking at the three installations I see that Jira and Confluence use these properties:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

com.atlassian.confluence.impl.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect

jdbc:sqlserver://*********:1433;databaseName=*****

and Crowd uses these properties:

net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://*******:1433/*****

org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect

Which produces the following error on the SQL Server

Encryption is required to connect to this server but the client library does not support encryption; the connection has been closed. Please upgrade your client library.

The DBA has assured me that encryption IS NOT required. However, when I update the properties in Crowd to the same values as Jira and Confluence (and copy the library file), I got the following error

Could not connect to the database: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to ... (More details about the error can be found in the logs).

So I'm stuck. I would really appreciate any ideas at all. Even crazy ones.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2022

The answer was to use the JRE 8 MSSQL Library, even though the Java version is JRE 11.

Not having access to the MSSQL Source code, I can only surmise that version 11 defaults to encryption, while version 8 does not.

0 votes
Ruslan Tkachuk June 10, 2022

Hi @Robert Egan 
I checked your case with SQL Server 2017 (without Encryption) and Crowd 4.4.1 (with default jTds driver v.1.3.1) and all works pretty fine (please see attachments)... I used AWS RDS and EC2 for that. Additionally I connected to DB through the DataGrip client with jTds driver. As recommendations:

- check that DB encryption is disabled

- to be know, that Atlassian applications deployed in different Tomcat containers. https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/can-multiple-atlassian-products-be-deployed-in-a-single-tomcat-container-21SQLserver6.png8279174.html
SQLserver5.png
SQLserver1.jpg

Robert Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2022

The DBA has assured me that he has disabled anything that might be even remotely connected to encryption. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events