Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd user identification

Carlos Chang May 13, 2021

Hi guys,

I'm using crowd internal user as authentication for Atlassian service like Jira and Confluence.

Now I'd like to switch to external AD, but my concern here that if there exist any potential risk? for example, crowd user create an issue or become an assignee, after AD switch, could Jira recognize the new user in AD if they have the same username. What's the key value for user identification?

Same question for confluence page/space creating and permission inherit.

#data-center #crowd #jira #confluence

3 answers

1 vote
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hey @Carlos Chang 

We've done a significant amount of work with various Crowd directory types and can confirm the answer in  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Crowd-questions/Crowd-Migrating-from-Crowd-internal-directory-to-Microsoft/qaq-p/131524 is correct. An application connected to Crowd will look at the Application > Directory mapping, and the first instance of a username that matches will be how that user is authenticated. If you have the same username in multiple mapped directories, then all group memberships are merged - eg: if user@example.com is in group A and B in the first directory and B, C and D in the second directory, while they auth against directory 1, the application will see them as being members of groups A,B,C and D

CCM

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

@Carlos Chang I belive this is the answer to your question.  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Crowd-questions/Crowd-Migrating-from-Crowd-internal-directory-to-Microsoft/qaq-p/131524

As with any major change, it is always good to test in a development environment beforehand and backup production prior to making the change.  

0 votes
Carlos Chang May 28, 2021

@Brant Schroeder Thank you for the info, I've get the idea but still have some questions and I leave comments in the thread.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events