Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Crowd user identification

Hi guys,

I'm using crowd internal user as authentication for Atlassian service like Jira and Confluence.

Now I'd like to switch to external AD, but my concern here that if there exist any potential risk? for example, crowd user create an issue or become an assignee, after AD switch, could Jira recognize the new user in AD if they have the same username. What's the key value for user identification?

Same question for confluence page/space creating and permission inherit.

#data-center #crowd #jira #confluence

3 answers

1 vote

Hey @Carlos Chang 

We've done a significant amount of work with various Crowd directory types and can confirm the answer in  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Crowd-questions/Crowd-Migrating-from-Crowd-internal-directory-to-Microsoft/qaq-p/131524 is correct. An application connected to Crowd will look at the Application > Directory mapping, and the first instance of a username that matches will be how that user is authenticated. If you have the same username in multiple mapped directories, then all group memberships are merged - eg: if user@example.com is in group A and B in the first directory and B, C and D in the second directory, while they auth against directory 1, the application will see them as being members of groups A,B,C and D

CCM

1 vote
Brant Schroeder Community Leader May 19, 2021

@Carlos Chang I belive this is the answer to your question.  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Crowd-questions/Crowd-Migrating-from-Crowd-internal-directory-to-Microsoft/qaq-p/131524

As with any major change, it is always good to test in a development environment beforehand and backup production prior to making the change.  

@Brant Schroeder Thank you for the info, I've get the idea but still have some questions and I leave comments in the thread.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

147 views 0 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you