Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can a JIRA/Confluence application connect to 2 crowd servers in failover mode?

Hi,

I am connecting my Atlassian applications - JIRA/Confluence/Fisheye to Crowd for SSO across these applications.

Is it possible to connect each of these Atlassian applications to 2 Crowd server instances wherein the second one will be a cold standby for failover?

I am looking at possible options to automatically failover the crowd server without having to change all the application links in each of the Atlassian application that is connected for SSO purposes.

This is assuming that both Crowd server instances will be sharing Database or have active/passive database available so that the SSO tokens and other data created by Crowd 1 will be available to Crowd 2 as well.

So if the above is not possible, I will have to look at achieving this via networking means to maintain same URL for both crowd server instances. But this option may have performance implications (due to extra hops and network requirements) and I wanted to avoid it.

Thanks and Regards,

Archanaa

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi, Crowd doesn't support clustering or hot failover. The best way to achieve this would be to setup a virtual IP and cold failover 2 Crowd instances. Point your DNS to the virtual IP instead.

Having said that - has Crowd crashed/failed for you and if so how long and what were the implications? As every Atlassian application maintains a Crowd cache - a slight downtime shouldn't cause any problems. I would look at increasing the length of the cache if it is a problem. This will mean changes will be delayed, but there's always tradeoffs.

0 votes

Hi Archanaa,

I believe that could be possible since this configuration is done in local files such as the WEB-INF/classes/seraph-config.xml one.

If you set 2 crowd directories in each application and one of those fail, it will try to reach the other and if they have the same user base, it will login too.

I can't guarantee it will work because I've never tested this so I'll leave this question open so others can give their opinions and ideas.

Hope that helps! :)

Regards,

Rodrigo Adami

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

306 views 9 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you